PDA

View Full Version : NOTICE: Shiloh Sharps Rifles and Carbines

John Holland
04-27-2010, 03:24 PM
To All -

It has come to my attention that Shiloh Sharps, of Big Timber, Montana, has changed their basic models of the Sharps 1863 Rifle and Carbine.

The basic model of the Sharps Model 1863 Rifle no longer includes the Patch Box as part of the base package and is now an add-on for an additional cost to the base price. The Patch Box is part of an original Civil War Sharps Model 1863 Rifle, and therefore is a requirement for the arm to be used in the N-SSA's Competitive Matches.

The Shiloh Sharps Model 1863 Carbine now no longer comes with a Saddle Bar and Ring. It, too, is now also an add-on for an additional cost to the customer. The Saddle Bar and Ring is part of an original Sharps Model 1863 Carbine, and therefore is a requirement for the arm to be used in the N-SSA's Competitive Matches.

The arms cited above were originally submitted to the N-SSA in full military configuration and approved as such. The fact that Shiloh has decided to require the customer to pay more by listing what you need as add-ons to make the arm legal for use in the N-SSA is unfortunate. It should be noted by any potential customers that these arms are NOT listed by Shiloh as "N-SSA Approved".

If you are selected for a spot inspection on the firing line at an official N-SSA skirmish, and you have a Shiloh Sharps Model 1863 Rifle with out a Patch Box, or a Shiloh Sharps Model 1863 Carbine without a Saddle Bar and Ring, you can be sure the I.G is going to tell you that your arm is unapproved. The penalties for using an unapproved arm are harsh and unforgiving.

If you are going to spend in the vicinity of $2000 for an arm, do your homework and know what the arm is supposed to look like before you make the commitment.

Sincerely,
John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Lee Hoffecker
04-27-2010, 09:30 PM
John,
Can an N-SSA member add a patch box or saddle ring once the gun has been received as long as it is of the orginial design, or does it have to be installed by the gun's manufacturer?
Lee

John Holland
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Lee,

Returning the arm to the manufacturer is not required. The modifications can be done by the competitor, or someone of his choice. All members are encouraged to bring any unapproved arm into compliance.

The Sharps Manufacturing Co. never delivered a Military Rifle to the Government without a patch box. Adding a patch box will be as simple as inletting it into the surface of the stock of the Rifle and notching the butt plate for the lid. The patch box doesn't even have to open. It is a cosmetic requirement.

The Carbine isn't as simple, but there is a solution to use the Carbine without a saddle bar & ring. That is to also inlet a patch box, the same as described above, and the Carbine then becomes a Model 1859 as issued to the U.S.N.

If any of our competitors require a Conditional Temporary Approval for a Shiloh Sharps Model 1863 Rifle without a Patch Box, or a Shiloh Sharps Model 1863 Carbine without a Saddle Bar & Ring, all they have to do is contact their Regional Small Arms Committee Inspector, or me, and it will be issued it to them. The terminus date will be very liberal.

Sincerely,
John Holland
Chaairman, SAC

Greg Ogdan, 11444
04-28-2010, 04:35 PM
John,
I am still unclear as to the patchbox requirement on Sharp's carbines. If the carbine has a saddle ring does it need a patchbox also please? Just as an FYI, my carbine is an older New York made one with a saddle ring and WITHOUT a patchbox. Is my carbine in the approved configuration please?
Thank you so much for your patience and reply.

John Holland
04-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Greg,

If a Shiloh Sharps Carbine has a saddle bar & ring, and a patch box, it is then a New Model 1859, and is approved for use in the N-SSA's Competitive Matches.

If a Shiloh Sharps Carbine has a saddle bar & ring and no patch box, it is a New Model 1863 and is also approved for use in the N-SSA's Competitive Matches.

Thank you for asking.

John Holland
Chmn., SAC

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Greg,

Your Sharps is fine. You have a Model 1863 Sharps. Unlike the M1859 it has no patchbox. Both models had the saddlebar and rings. This was to attached the carbine to the wide leather carbine sling that the trooper wore over his left shoulder.

Phil