PDA

View Full Version : Original 1863 Remington with new Whitacre reline for sale

Jim Wimbish, 10395
09-16-2019, 05:19 PM
For sale is an original 1863 Remington aka Zouave that has been completely set up for individual and match competition. I just had the barrel relined by Dan Whitacre over the winter and it shoots beautifully. I am only selling it because I can hold a Fayetteville stocked rifle better that I can this original one. For some reason it just fits me better, so I am biting the bullet as they say and selling this gun to someone that it fits better. The lock is a dream and breaks just under 3.5 pounds. It has a 50/100 yard peep and a dovetailed match front sight that has been soldered down but can be loosened by heating the solder in case you want to adjust it for windage. I shot the Hodgdon in it sized .575" with 43.2 grains of Goex 3f. This load was very accurate and I had no fouling issues or keyholing. The progressive depth rifling that Dan W. uses is outstanding and just like the original minie rifling from the 1860's. Except for the reline and sights the gun is all original and the barrel has most of its blued finish and inspection markings including the 1963 date. The wood is quite nice. The stock appears to have been carefully cut at some time in the past and was put back together with two dowel pins. I had the stock joint done over by a gunsmith with steel pins to make it more solid. There is a picture of the joint included. The gun shoots well and does not have ignition problems. It will make an excellent primary gun for a competition shooter. The price for this gun is $1,650 and can be picked up at the Fall Nationals. I will be arriving on Th. eve. and shoot with the Eighth Va. I can be reached by phone at the fort. PM me ahead if interested.

rewood
09-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Hi Jim, my friend and teammate on the Union Gaurds, Chuck Fulton, is interested - but, he is not conversant with the B.B. so cannot reply here. Could you please pm me your email address and I?ll forward it on to him. Thanks

Jim Wimbish, 10395
09-16-2019, 10:09 PM
PM sent with my contact info.

Jim

Jim Wimbish, 10395
10-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Sold at Nationals.