PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: used Federal Sky Blue trowsers and kepi

Maillemaker
08-30-2019, 11:11 PM
I am going to hit up the local Cabela's and other sporting goods stores around town to set up a recruiting tent at the front door to hand out N-SSA literature.

Due to the political climate, I do not want to wear my Confederate uniform. I already have a 4-button federal coat. I need sky blue trousers size 44 and a kepi.

I have a 23" circumference head so this should be a 7-3/8 hat size.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, what I will resort to is this:

Kepi ($29):
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MH303

Trousers ($60):
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=UC2

Total with shipping for both of these from S&S firearms would be $100.

If you have old ones you can sell for less please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

John Holland
08-31-2019, 09:10 AM
Check with Melinda Shaw for a "N-SSA Form" used to collect information from potentially interested parties. If I recall it correctly, there is a form used at the N-SSA booth at the annual Gettysburg re-enactment, and the N-SSA booth at the Harrisburg, PA Sportsman's Show. Then again, I could be mistaken, too!

Muley Gil
09-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Personally, I would wear a slouch hat. After all, you are still in Alabama and some folks won't give you the time of day if they think you are a Yankee. :)

Maillemaker
09-01-2019, 04:20 PM
It's a toss-up. I figure few commercial big-box stores these days will tolerate a Confederate display in front of their store. But yes, I'm in the South. But, I'm also in Huntsville, which is massively federal service.

Steve

John Holland
09-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Steve - I believe you are on the right track with your presentation direction. Initial perception by potentially interested parties is critical. No matter how much heritage is involved with Confederate flags, first impression says not to use them. The first thing you want passersby to capture in their mind is "Hey, these people actually shoot Civil War muskets!" Just my unsolicited opinions, and support for your project.

PoorJack
09-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Great idea and thanks for putting in the effort.

As for dress, why not just wear a polo from Doc's with the NSSA logo on it and jeans? That's pretty innocuous.

My thought on wearing the uniforms is try to avoid being taken for a reenactment group by the casual observer.

cjohnson
09-02-2019, 11:15 AM
From an outsider looking in. I attempted to form a unit and was unsuccessful. Utilized many of the suggestions mentioned here on this thread. Seems if I had 2 skirmishers , one Union , one Confederate with both flags, instead of just myself along with a musket display it might have bee more attractive. Most all Confederate states fielded Union units in the war, but few today will admit it. AL. VA, GA, TN just for a few.
Cass

Maillemaker
09-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Oh yeah tons of them. We had the 1st Alabama Cavalry for the Union. We toyed around with changing our team name when I took over but I like the fact that our organization and our team has a history itself. Our team was founded in 1976. That's 43 years of tradition. It would be sad to see that go. Plus we would have to re-submit our team at the Nationals and I doubt we'll ever have 8 people go to a Nationals again to be able to do that. Also many of our team members are staunchly pro-Confederacy for a variety of reasons, including paying homage to family members who fought.

I also think it would be really cool to have a company of African-American skirmishers.

Anyway all teams in the Deep South Region are confederate.

Steve

Muley Gil
09-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Yes, google "The Free State of Winston." When Alabama seceded from the Union, Winston County seceded from Alabama. About 20 years ago, I went to Winston Co to look at a horse. I passed a house that had a US flag and a muzzle loading cannon in the front yard. Just down the road a little piece, was a house with a Confederate Naval Jack and a cannon in the front yard.

The funny thing was that the cannons were aimed at each other. :)