PDA

View Full Version : Potential Lead Buy $1.29 per pound.

WBR10654
08-30-2019, 11:39 AM
I got an email from Roto Metals for a price of pure lead, 1000 pounds delivered for $1.69 a pound.

I am assuming freight will be much cheaper for a Truck Load so I just asked them for a quote for a "Truck Load" (22 tons).

I am not promising anything but am trying to see if there is interest.

If so I will move on it.

There were 22 bundles of about a ton each last time I did this and they came in 60 pound pigs.

If you or friends want to buy a bundle let me know and I will see if this is going to work.

I would ask for delivery during the Nationals 2 or 3 October.

Like I said, "
I am not promising anything..." but if there is interest I will then collect the money and place the order.

THEN: I have to get a place to unload it and a forklift to do so.

WOW! They responded already,,,,, $1.29 Delivered. Add to that the forklift rental...

Still working on this as they want to deliver to a business with a dock.

David Baldwin

WBR10654
08-30-2019, 02:01 PM
https://www.rotometals.com/pallet-lead-ingots-99-9-1000-pounds-freight-included/

MR. GADGET
08-30-2019, 02:40 PM
Dave
How are the taxes handled on this?
Does Roto charge sales tax?

Just an FYI there have been changes in the laws on sales tax and how they get charged.
Been seeing group.buys go south when the tax man starts holding the person accountable that set it up.

WBR10654
08-30-2019, 03:08 PM
Thanks, that has been figured in to my some of my additional costs, in my head...

4.3% of sales tax, $500 for coming on a flatbed trailer, and about $350 bucks for a Forklift Rental.

So, 2400 Sale Tax + 500 flatbed charge, + 350 = 3250?

That is 325,000 cents which adds just over 7 cents to the cost per pound or about $147 per bundle if my numbers are correct.

So just let's call it $1.37 a pound.

I was thinking about holding that TAX in reserve and when and if they come for me... pay it.

Then again all this changes on a day to day basis since LEAD is a commodity... Below is a link to the London Metal Exchange Historical Lead Price Graph. It has been coming down but that can change in an instant.

https://www.lme.com/en-GB/Metals/Non-ferrous/Lead#tabIndex=2

Just Lubed 300 Minnies and now need to go load them...

DPB

Dave
How are the taxes handled on this?
Does Roto charge sales tax?

Just an FYI there have been changes in the laws on sales tax and how they get charged.
Been seeing group.buys go south when the tax man starts holding the person accountable that set it up.

Jim Barber
08-31-2019, 02:24 PM
I apologize in advance if this is a forbidden, terrible idea-- I'm prone to them-- but would it be possible to have the load delivered to the Fort & use the equipment there to unload it in an out-of-the way spot near the barn? Having moved a ton of lead (literally) into my garage, 22,000# would take a surprisingly small amount of space! I seem to remember seeing a set of forks for a tractor there? Or maybe that's all Tim's equipment and I'm totally presumptuous. Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers!
Jim B.
Grove City, OH

MR. GADGET
08-31-2019, 03:12 PM
I apologize in advance if this is a forbidden, terrible idea-- I'm prone to them-- but would it be possible to have the load delivered to the Fort & use the equipment there to unload it in an out-of-the way spot near the barn? Having moved a ton of lead (literally) into my garage, 22,000# would take a surprisingly small amount of space! I seem to remember seeing a set of forks for a tractor there? Or maybe that's all Tim's equipment and I'm totally presumptuous. Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers!
Jim B.
Grove City, OH

We are talking 22 tons
Not 22,000 lbs.

Aside from that, you would then need to stop using the equipment for nationals and move to use it for personal gain. Also need to find the room, man power to do it.

If they will take batteries from campers they would take a pig of lead....

Then you need to cover gas, w&t on the equipment and place the NSSA people and equipment at risk.
Add in the fact you dont want an 18 wheeler as part of the traffic at nationals.

The only way I see this to work out at national with any part of the NSSA is if the NSSA takes this on and ordered, stock then resell to members.

Other than that it is a group buy and gets handled like all lead sales in the past. For the most part that is just what he proposed and would work for those needing lead.

WBR10654
08-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Jim,

Anything is possible but we would just need permission.

If this happens we can always ask but when planning; I plan for what I can do but am always open to additional resources.

The 22 Tons takes up little space with foot a print less than the size of a couple pickup trucks.

OF COURSE: I would expect people to come and get their stuff quickly as I do not want to be responsible for it at 3300 (plus) bucks per bundle. Nor do I want to cause us any problem with the rest of the N-SSA or it's activities.

I did this once before around 2008. It took months for people to get their lead and I made the mistake of taking 500 pound minimums, to many players.

This time if it is done a person, team, or group buys a "bundle" (a ton) and divides it up themselves.

I plan on NOT buying any and am just doing this as a SERVICE to the membership because I know how to. My goal is to give of my little time to help who ever wants it.

Organizing Things,,, Ya something I know how to do.

OH, and if this does not happen in the next 15 days it is not going to happen as there is a two week lead time. Then again there is always the Spring Nationals.

DPB

Cheers!
Jim B.
Grove City, OH

Jim Barber
08-31-2019, 06:31 PM
Mr. Gadget,

Sorry, I misread the original tonnage. I actually thought to myself, why 22,000#? That's nowhere near the standard max load on a standard 53. So 22 tons, 44,000#. Still not a huge footprint. I cleared out an enormous area of my garage for 1 ton, only to find I could build it up for a convenient block underneath my shop's trash can.
Unless a drunken baboon is at the controls, not sure what to make of "wear and tear" on the equipment. Perhaps charge by the hour of use? It sure ain't near the rental charge!
Lastly, I suspect the liabilities involved in making this an "N-SSA-Sanctioned Lead Buy" would outweigh the liabilities of just offloading a few pallets. Just sayin'.

Cheers!
Jim B
Grove City, OH

jack 8thVirginia
08-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Dave, I sent you a PM on this. I'm trying to get everyone's input. Hard to do over a holiday weekend.

Jack Harper

henrymstr
09-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Why bother, there is already a guy on here that sells for $1.00/lb. He will sell you a ton or two if you want. Its good quality stuff been tested 99.9% hes at every potomac and national. Scroll dwn look for Andrew Maher.

Sent from my LG-LK460 using Tapatalk