PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Bayonet with US Insignia Sheath

LMGray
07-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Civil War Bayonet with US Insignia Sheath

The Sheath measures 20" including the leather part. The US is bronze or brass. The sheath shows some wear as does the leather.

The Bayonet measures approx. 21". It is triangular and has US engraved before the concave side of the blade. The bayonet is clean and without rust and seems to be in VG condition. I don't know if it is original to the sheath.

My father was a collector of Civil War muskets and participated in reenactments. This was passed down in the family.

I would be happy to answer any questions I can or send more pictures.

Asking $145 or best offer. Please check my other Civil War items.
Thank you for looking.

Muley Gil
07-20-2019, 08:39 PM
The scabbard is for a post Civil War trapdoor Springfield. I believe the bayonet is for a trapdoor also.

LMGray
07-27-2019, 09:27 AM
Thank you for that info. Does it make it less valuable?

Muley Gil
07-27-2019, 01:35 PM
I haven't bought or sold any bayonets or scabbards in quite a while. You may want to check some of the on-line sites for a value.

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/trapdoor-bayonet

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
07-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Here's a source.

http://trapdoorcollector.com/spfdblades.html

LMGray
07-27-2019, 05:30 PM
thank you both!

Southron Sr.
07-28-2019, 03:04 PM
Downtown Madison, GA has several antique shops. Several years ago I walked into one of them and and a sign in one of the glass cases full of antique items proudly announced: "Civil War Confederate Bayonet." Below that sign, on a shelf, was a 45-70 bayonet in one of those "US" scabbards.

So, I asked the owner of the shop if I could look at that bayonet and scabbard. He reached into the case, took the bayonet and scabbard out and handed it to me.

So, playing dumb, I asked him: "Well, IF this is a Confederate bayonet and scabbard, why does both the scabbard and bayonet have the "US" marking?"

The owner of the shop scowled at me, then with a tone of authority in his voice, said: "Well, right after the Confederate army captured Springfield Armory, they kept both Springfield Rifles and bayonets in production, and used the captured "US" dies and stamps to mark the rifles and bayonets."

Well, all of this was news to me because I had never heard of the Confederate army capturing the Springfield Armory in Massachusetts. So, I asked him when did this happened. He said: "Well, that was early in the war."

I handed the bayonet and scabbard back to him and walked out of the shop...stifling my laughter until I was out on the sidewalk.

Muley Gil
07-29-2019, 12:23 PM
Don't you know yore CW history? Those troopers were Rebel Rangers and they were dropped off by the Hunley. Afterwards, Marse Robert used them to capture rail lines. They never harmed any passengers or train crews. They were so revered for their actions during the War, the railroads, both North and South, commemorate them by marking all crossings with their initials-RR for Rebel Rangers. :D