PDA

View Full Version : Armi-Sport Rifled Model 1842

threepdr
07-19-2019, 01:27 PM
I've accidentally acquired a very nice un-fired used Rifled 1842. I don't plan on shooting it for competition, but would like to shoot it for fun. Does anyone else have experiance with one of these. To what diameter are you sizing your bullets? I know these may vary from gun to gun, but someone's experiences may get me in the ball park.

Thanks!

gemmer
07-19-2019, 05:51 PM
I've accidentally acquired a very nice un-fired used Rifled 1842. I don't plan on shooting it for competition, but would like to shoot it for fun. Does anyone else have experiance with one of these. To what diameter are you sizing your bullets? I know these may vary from gun to gun, but someone's experiences may get me in the ball park.

Thanks!
I shoot an original rifled ?42 that was relined by Bobby Hoyt to .687 which I believe is what the original bores were. My understanding is that Armi bores tend to be oversize, so you need to measure your bore. Moose makes an oversize semi wad cutter Rapine style that should work for you. You may need a sizing die. Tennessee bullet mounds can help you out with that.

marv762
07-29-2019, 05:26 PM
i had one a few years ago and it shot an old ideal mold that threw 690. the wad cutter was to small and you needed 65 grains of powder to get it to shoot at 50 yards. i was using 57 grains of goex and i believe the bullet was over 700 grains. shot good but didn't need it.
good luck Marv

threepdr
08-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Update, The Lyman mold I have drops about .686. Although it seems a little loose in the bore (it will slide down unaided dry, but will requires light ramming when lubed) it seems to shoot well. I was getting 4-5 inch groups at 50 yards using 55 grains of 3F. I think I can improve on that.

Elevation is perfect at 50 yards, but it is shooting about 8 inches to the right. I'll have to un-solder the front sight and move it over a bit to get point of aim groups.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
08-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Try a ball .010 to .012 under bore diameter and 52g of FFFg Goex. that should get you in the game. Remember, the Smoothie is the most unforgiving gun you will ever shoot.

Greg

bobanderson
08-16-2019, 09:34 AM
For pure fun, I wouldn't discount the plain old patched round ball. You could go shoot a woods walk now and then.

marv762
08-17-2019, 10:07 PM
i made my sight adjustment in the rear soldering a tab on it and moving the notch over. nssa rules stated you couldn't move the front sight on the band. and mine kept a ten ring at 50 yards. good luck

bobanderson
08-18-2019, 05:13 AM
nssa rules stated you couldn't move the front sight on the band.

Relatively new SAC inspector speaking, so cut me a bit of slack if I misspeak.
The rules about sights apply to smoothbores, right? I would expect the only rules for this arm (the thread is about a rifled 42) would be for the sights to be the same general shape and pattern.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
08-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Bob, Yes and No........ Yes there are 2 different rules about the Springfield 1842 model sights. One for smooth bores and another for the rifled version. So yes on the rifled 1842 you can make the front sight taller and recenter it. No .. the front sight does have to be the same size length / width. You don't have to have the rifled version inspected after doing it like you do need to do on a smooth bore. But it is suggested you have someone on the SAC look at it to be sure its done correctly anyway.

bobanderson
08-19-2019, 06:11 AM
Bob, Yes and No........ Yes there are 2 different rules about the Springfield 1842 model sights. One for smooth bores and another for the rifled version.

Thanks, Bruce. It's nice to get one right once in a while.