PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Repro Zuoave

Michael Bodner
06-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Picked up a Zouave for almost nothing at a Gun show recently... Thought it might make a good gun for new team members.

I don't recognize the Maker nor do I have any knowledge regarding its safety/abilities.

Any info anyone might share on this gun would be helpful.

Description:

Marked FIE. Also Marked PR with year AD (in the box) so its a 1979 (light stamping, but definitely AD). Italy with two Italian proof marks...

The breech is an offset patented breech. Meaning that there is a hole (about 1/8") offset from the center of the bore that goes to the flash hole at the bolster.

Stock is two piece, comes apart at the lower band.

Lock is odd (as compared to Zoli). Coil springs instead of leaf.

See photos

Let me know what you know!!

Thanks

-Boots

ms3635v
06-09-2019, 12:52 PM
The year of manufacture mark "AD" indicates that is manufactured in 1978.

RaiderANV
06-09-2019, 02:39 PM
FIE is Firearms Import Export which was in Florida. They imported 100’s of different models of everything on the planet that went bang. The only other “Zouave” lock I’ve seen with that coil spring was made in Spain.

Muley Gil
06-09-2019, 11:11 PM
But is it N-SSA approved? I don't see FIE listed under Zouaves.

bones92
06-10-2019, 09:04 AM
I have had a few repro blackpowder arms (revolvers and rifles) with the PR mark.

I asked about this maker mark here...

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?186800-quot-PR-quot-maker-mark-on-Italian-repro-revolver-PICS-added

John Holland
06-10-2019, 10:10 AM
The N-SSA Small Arms Committee (SAC) has no knowledge of which company made this rifle or barrel. It was never submitted for approval, which is why you do not see it on the Approved Arms List. Since the barrel manufacturer can not be identified this rifle can not be allowed for use in the N-SSA's competitive matches. In addition, because of the lack of identification of the barrel manufacturer it can not be submitted to the SAC for review. This is true of any arm submitted to the SAC, because if the barrel maker can not be identified the SAC is required to reject the arm.

John Holland
Small Arms Staff Officer

CAGerringer
06-10-2019, 11:06 AM
It appears that PR was the trademark for "Fabbrica d'Armi Esterina Riva". The importer was FIE. Documenting that and having Italian proofmarks, would surely qualify it for at least a look by the SAC...wouldn't it?
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Michael Bodner
06-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Charlie,

You beat me to it. The barrel is marked with a capital PR logo.

As you said, this seems to indicate
Fabbrica d'Armi Esterina Riva

Also has two Italian proof marks...

Not on the list, but able to evaluate??

Thanks John!!

-Boots

MR. GADGET
06-10-2019, 02:55 PM
John if the barrel were relined could it be submitted then? Just curious...

Thanks,

Can't really be relined. That's implying it was lined already.

John Holland
06-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Adding a liner to a barrel that may have a brazed on bolster does nothing for the integrity of the bolster. This barrel is 40+ years old and has no specific information available as to how it was constructed. Look at the stock and lock construction, which does not give me a good feeling about the quality of the barrel. In my opinion, it was dirt cheap for a reason.

CAGerringer
06-11-2019, 11:35 AM
I'm not a SAC guy. I'm not even an IG, but isn't it pretty straightforward to determine if a bolster is braised on, or not? (I'm not stirring the pot, I really don't know.)
When I was looking for a Zouave, I started a BB string to ID this very model that I had seen in the past. I did it in order to make sure I could AVOID it.
So, I don't really have a dog in the fight, but now that we have a model IDed, and available for inspection, wouldn't it be to all of our benefit to determine if this thing should not be shot... like the Indian Enfields?
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

bobanderson
06-12-2019, 07:01 AM
The few I've seen all had a flat spot on the side of the barrel where a bolster could be attached. Cast breech assemblies don't appear to have been made with that flat area.

Of course, if someone bought it dirt cheap, it would be in their best interest to lobby for approval.