PDA

View Full Version : light tan moderm pants for butternut?

Harry Gaul
06-08-2019, 03:36 PM
It has been years since I wore sky blue wool Civil War pants to any NSSA event. I noticed that some to many skirmishers wear modern dark blue, light blue and grey work pants by Dickie at skirmishes. I have come across a pair of light tan pants cut similar to modern work pants by Dickie " Would the majority of skirmishers blow an " O " ring if I wore these pants to a skirmish, local or Nationals? After forty years I am making modifications to adjust and compete.
Farby, I am.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
Harry
3rd US
03626v

RaiderANV
06-08-2019, 03:55 PM
You have to wear what your unit has on record. That said get the unit to change to modern work pants and shirt and ya'll will fit right in w/ many

K. Herrick
06-09-2019, 09:17 AM
And if you are wondering.....YES we are on the slippery slope to jeans and a "shirt"

2kycav
06-09-2019, 11:49 AM
I find it interesting that some will look somewhat authentic til you reach the footwear.....I see more and more hiking boots and shoes of that type......I myself wear 100 percent muslin pants which were in fact used, especially to a civilian volunteer unit such as ours.......good thread for discussion to be sure...

CAGerringer
06-09-2019, 12:22 PM
I've always worn wool, and used authentic footwear....BUT,
after the last 4 Nationals, I've bought a pair of high black rubber boots.
I hate them, but they're as necessary as my cartridge box!
To be fair though, I've seen an improvement on our team from Dickies to wool.
There will always be some 'Dickie Die-hards' though.
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

RaiderANV
06-09-2019, 02:34 PM
They have to wear the unit uniform on record with the N-SSA. Anything other and you can be DQ’d. Requires a complaint from another unit though. Usually only happens when you win a medal and someone next in line wants it.

geezmo
06-09-2019, 04:33 PM
If you're going to be "Farby" and you belong to the 3rd U.S. Infantry why wouldn't you at least buy a pair of light blue work pants. I doubt the 3rd U.S. wore butternut, or whatever it is you're trying to portray. It seems that the place to start this questioning is with your own teammates.

Muley Gil
06-09-2019, 08:16 PM
"
After forty years I am making modifications to adjust and compete."

I shot in my first skirmish in 1970, forty NINE years ago. I'm getting old and fat(ter), but I still wear wool from a good sutler.

Texaco Rangers-------CHAAAARGE!!!!! :(

PoorJack
06-09-2019, 09:05 PM
As a former reenactor who was in an authentic unit, this thread is really funny...............

There aint hardly ONE of you one the line authentic. And that's one of the things that I like about the NSSA

Muley Gil
06-09-2019, 09:45 PM
As a former reenactor who was in an authentic unit, this thread is really funny...............

There aint hardly ONE of you one the line authentic. And that's one of the things that I like about the NSSA

You need to walk the firing line more often. You'll see some members that look like they stepped out of a Brady photo. Most won't though.

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
06-09-2019, 10:52 PM
At the age and physical structure of most of us we could be outfitted in 100% original uniforms and equipment from head to foot and it still wouldn't convey. Personally I think we should focus more on range safety and marksmanship and leave the "authenticity" for the living history folks. In truth if we want to go with age related authenticity we should be dressing up as Grand Amy of the Republic or Confederate Veterans.

Muley Gil
06-09-2019, 11:47 PM
At the age and physical structure of most of us we could be outfitted in 100% original uniforms and equipment from head to foot and it still wouldn't convey. Personally I think we should focus more on range safety and marksmanship and leave the "authenticity" for the living history folks. In truth if we want to go with age related authenticity we should be dressing up as Grand Amy of the Republic or Confederate Veterans.

Why can't we do ALL of it-dress correctly, handle our arms safely and be good marksmen?

Maillemaker
06-10-2019, 12:11 AM
Personally, I've given up on the brogans. Mine are "sutler row" brogans. Maybe they would feel better with some custom-made ones, I don't know. But even with Dr. Scholl's inserts, my feet are just killing me at the end of a day. Now I'm sure much of the problem is that I'm 100 pounds overweight. So I've gone to modern brown leather lace-up boots. I've got to have modern footwear or I can't do this sport.

Steve

geezmo
06-10-2019, 07:12 AM
I think Harry Gaul started this on purpose. Judging from his blowing an O ring remark and the tone of some of his past postings here, I think he is the kind of guy who likes to "poke the snake with a stick".

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
06-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Why can't we do ALL of it-dress correctly, handle our arms safely and be good marksmen?

Probably because any attempt to force "Correctness" or "Authenticity" will cost the assn a loss in members. I'm all for 100% correct uniforms for living history guys of the proper age. For the overweight 60-70 plus year old crowd who could never represent a lean and hard CW soldier no matter what they are wearing it's a stretch to claim that they represent the men of the CW. There was a time when I took great pride in wearing all the proper uniform items and feeling that I was representing the men of the CW but that was before reaching the 70 plus age bracket. Now I'm just dressing up to meet the requirements of the Assn. A dinosaur in wolf's clothing. I'll continue to wear the teams "uniform" when required but there will be days when I won't like it.

Southron Sr.
06-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Modern pants would be ALL WRONG. The simple solution is to order yourself a pair of "Dukins," which are copies of 19th Century men's cotton, "butternut" colored pants. They are correct for the Civil War era.

These "trousers" are VERY COMFORTABLE to wear and especially at those hot Summer day Skirmishes. Yes,yes, because these "Dukins"have a back pocket, some lesser informed individuals will tell you that pants are incorrect for the Civil War era. They will be wrong because back pockets for men's trousers have been around since the 16th Century.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/store/002976.php

geezmo
06-13-2019, 09:03 AM
So Harry, did you find the answer you were looking for???

Harry Gaul
07-01-2019, 05:08 PM
I was hoping to start a disssssssscusssssion on the state of the uniform and sqeeze out a few more yearssssssssssssss in the NSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSA but at least one person suggested that I am starting a Pissssssssssing match. Most of the comments are helpful, and it is what it is. There is message for most of us here, and if it applies to you, take notice. The flood plain conditions of the Range makes brogans nearly impossible around position 55. Then again on 55, it is very much like the VMI cadets at New Market. I am part of the next big group to leave the NSSSSSSSSSSA for a variety of reasonsssssssss. For every person that leaves and not replaced, it is one step closer to a duesssssssss increase. I would never poke a snake with a stick. At one time I was into Herpetology, but if you can not hang with the big dog (Canis familiaris), do not go into the yard.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
Harry Gaul
3 rd US
03626v

Southron Sr.
07-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Well, my experience is that a cotton pair of authentic pants are much, much comfortable to wear than "modern tan pants" made out of polyester or whatever; especially on those hot summertime days at a Skirmish.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/store/mens-trousers.php?&theme=Old+West

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
07-01-2019, 07:06 PM
Harry Well that's news your changing teams? OR you convinced the 3US to go to tan!

Since your team is noted in BLUE and that's the uniform not tan.

I was wondering HOW you morphed from Tan Pants to a Dues increase. Take the Stick out of the POT!!!! Wayne Shaw 1985V National IG SAC

MR. GADGET
07-02-2019, 07:17 AM
Harry,

Your keyboard has some keys sticking. Makes it for a hard read. May want to have it looked at or replaced. Maybe it is just getting pounded on a little much.

Your spoon is getting wore down also being used to stir so much.

As far as the uniforms you really should take that to your team and commander before the general public in the forum. They may be able to help guide you.

Also sorry to hear you plan to call it quits in the N-SSA. I hope you find peace in your next venture.

Eggman
07-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Harry,

Your keyboard has some keys sticking. Makes it for a hard read. May want to have it looked at or replaced. Maybe it is just getting pounded on a little much.

Your spoon is getting wore down also being used to stir so much.

As far as the uniforms you really should take that to your team and commander before the general public in the forum. They may be able to help guide you.

Also sorry to hear you plan to call it quits in the N-SSA. I hope you find peace in your next venture.

Ah, this is so uplifting. It's always so wonderful to see a "moderator" step in and moderate.

RaiderANV
07-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Eggs......don't point out sarcasm nor picking on others least you'll be kicked out of your position then BANNED instead of the offender! Oops.......to late.