PDA

View Full Version : Pietta Smith flash hole too deep...

CAGerringer
05-23-2019, 11:56 AM
My Pietta Smith repro has a flash hole that was drilled too deep. I saw where someone else had used JB Weld to fill in the bottom of the hole. I tried that and it just blew it all out in one shooting session. Asked around and was told it had to be the High Temp version of JB Weld. Got on the Internet and ordered a small tub of it. Filled the hole before Nationals and fired it during the Carbine match. When I got home and took the Smith apart, the High Temp JB Weld had been scoured out also. Can anyone recommend a fix to this problem???
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Bob Gorsky 10483
05-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Charlie sent you a PM
Bob Gorsky

RaiderANV
05-23-2019, 06:18 PM
I used the JB high temp in several Smith’s with 1000’s of round out of them with no problem.
You have to make sure it’s clean spotless and decreased. Then mix the stuff properly and make sure fills it with no voids completely. After wards use a small dremil but to shape it and make a lol ramp/trough into the flats hole and you’ll be fine.

CAGerringer
05-24-2019, 07:54 AM
I used the JB high temp in several Smith’s with 1000’s of round out of them with no problem.
You have to make sure it’s clean spotless and decreased. Then mix the stuff properly and make sure fills it with no voids completely. After wards use a small dremil but to shape it and make a lol ramp/trough into the flats hole and you’ll be fine.

Thanks, PJ. I think my problem is that the flash channel has enlarged to the point I'm getting blow back into the bolster area and blowing out the JB Weld a little bit every shot. I think if I get the channel relined, the JB Weld will stay in place and focus the spark to the channel, and protect the clean out screw, like it's supposed to do.

Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

bobanderson
05-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Contact Larry Flees of the 111th OVI. 231-342-0821 or email at ljflees@hotmail.com.

He can square it away for you pretty quickly. He fixed a Pietta for me.

John Bly
05-24-2019, 09:52 PM
I fixed one of those solving both the problem of being too deep and a blown out screw. I tapped the nipple hole with a bottom tap and screwed in a short piece of 5/16 -24 bolt leaving room for the nipple. I secured it with permanent loctite. There was a screw driver slot in the top of it as it was necessary to screw it in place.. Then I drilled the flash hole from the side and tapped it for a new clean out screw. Then I drilled a connecting hole from the end of the nipple to the cross hole. It is a permanent fix that will never blow or fall out. It worked out well with fast ignition and a secure clean out screw. I'm a firm believer in fixing things right to avoid future issues. I'm telling this so others can fix them. I don't want a whole damn bunch of them to fix. I don't like working on Smiths.

RaiderANV
05-25-2019, 12:01 AM
MAYNARDS RULE!!
Smyht’s blow clean out screws!! 🤪

bobanderson
05-25-2019, 07:26 AM
I don't want a whole damn bunch of them to fix. I don't like working on Smiths.

John, I appreciate all you do for us, but I do believe you are becoming a Smith snob.

John Holland
05-25-2019, 09:33 AM
John Bly is just a "Maynard Man" all the way.....with a wide variety of First Place recognitions to his name! He may shun the Smith, but he DOES like to work on Maynards of all models.

Harry Gaul
05-25-2019, 04:22 PM
I support Larry and his expertise. He fixed my Smith as well.

True blue and Diamond Hard,
Harry
3rd US
03626v

george7542
05-25-2019, 10:36 PM
I have two smith repaired my Bob Grosky he does a great job with no ignition problems of any kind.

noonanda
12-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just picked up a brand new Pietta Smith Carbine. Was looking it over and it has a very deep flash hole pocket. I have read in this and other threads about some of the workarounds people have done, such as using high temp JB weld to fill it somewhat. I have not shot it yet so I do not know if it is going to have ignition issues, but am preparing for it and would like any input from you all.

CAGerringer
12-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Bob Gorsky fixed mine. Filled in the hole, and silver soldered the clean out screw while he was at it. He can explain the process. It worked, was quick and reasonable.
By the way, I tried the Hi-Temp JB Weld and blew it all out at 1 skirmish.
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons