PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Support Belt

Dominic Infante, 8359V
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Do we have a regulation about wearing a lower back support belt during N-SSA skirmishes? I have one (six inches wide, elastic, velcro fasteners) that I sometimes wear at the practice range when my lower back feels stressed, which is increasingly common the older I get. I thought this might be considered a "shooting aide" that could give one an unfair advantage, so I thought it best to ask before taking the belt to a skirmish.

John Holland
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Dominic -

I would ask our National Inspector General, Wade Huffman. You can find his contact information in the front cover of any Skirmish Line from 2009 to date.

John Holland

Ken Hansgen, 11094
04-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Dominic, Please post the answer you get here. You're not the only one with that problem. Tough luck if he says only with a doctor's prescription, as most of us don't have that.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
04-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Gentlemen, I hate to sound like a champion of the obvious, but what about excersize to strengthen the area in question? Let's face it, most of us are geriatric anyway and an excersize certainly could do us no harm. Heck, it might even help us shoot better! Yeah, I know, going to the gym sucks and I don't buy that endorphin high thing anyway, but it can't hurt.

Mike Rouch 07791
04-16-2010, 09:33 AM
There you go again Greg, Some people have real back problems And can't exercise. I know some that are lucky to get to the line. I'll wait for Wade's answer to the question. See ya.

Mike

Brad4Ky
04-16-2010, 11:43 AM
As a Regional Inspecter, a Lower back support belt is Okay to use and its Not a shooting aid. I really could'nt find a rule about lower back support belts.
Brad Schuler

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
04-16-2010, 01:16 PM
"22.18 PROHIBITED EQUIPMENT
Slings or other items of equipment not otherwise prohibited by these rules shall not be
used to support or to steady shoulder arms. Modern shooting jackets with shoulder pads
may not be worn during individual or company matches. Shoulder pads shall not be used
unless worn inside the clothing where not visible and worn only for the protection of the
body."

This is as close to addressing the issue as I could find. It doesn't really address back braces by someone with problems, but I suppose someone could read it into it.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV...

clowdis
04-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Since the belt doesn't support the musket or the shooters arm I don't see it being an issue. I would however, wear it underneath my shirt and pants first of all for appearances and second, not to make it an issue with anyone.

W.Huffman 5thva
04-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Ladies and Gentleman, let me make this as painless as possible(LOL). In response to the issue of using a lower back support in NSSA competition, there is no specific rule which applies, but make sure the item is worn under your clothes so that it is not visible.
Wade Huffman
National IG