PDA

View Full Version : Proper nipples for a Zoli Zouave

CAGerringer
04-27-2019, 10:06 AM
Ben's post below reminded me that I need a proper replacement nipple for my Zoli Zouave. The last berillium one I bought had to have the round shoulder, that fits flush against the bolster, filed down til it was even with the square faces of the 'wrenching bit'. Only then would it screw all the way in.
Does anyone know of a sutler that carries a high quality nipple that fits a Zoli without having to be 'adjusted'?
Thanks,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Bob Lintner
05-11-2019, 08:35 PM
Don't everyone answer at once. I'd like to know also, someone out there please supply an answer. Thanks!

george7542
05-11-2019, 08:56 PM
I get mine from John Dewalt at northeast trade company at nationals just take your zouave with you when you go to get them.

bobanderson
05-12-2019, 06:38 AM
I once had a problem with an Italian repro. The nipples available to us in SAE threads (don't SPECIFICALLY remember fine or coarse) went into a clean gun just fine but after a match, it took a good wrench to get it out. The threads were just ever so loose enough that soot, fowling, etc would get between and tighten things up.

I spoke to an expert at Track of the Wolf who told me that the Italian nipples were metric, and that an 8mm nipple would fit better.

Long story short, he was right.

Bob Lintner
05-12-2019, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It's good to know. I use anti seize on nipple threads, always. Ask me how I know.
Bob

Muley Gil
05-14-2019, 12:07 PM
I always lube the nipple threads with Bore Butter after cleaning. Never had a stuck nipple since I started doing this about 30 years ago.