PDA

View Full Version : widening front sight post

Obi2winky
04-25-2019, 03:24 PM
Hello,

I noticed that the POI is slightly favoring left than my POA. I don't really have the know-how to move the entire front sight. I was wondering if there's a way to add a bit of width to the right side of the sight to widen it out? I kind of prefer a slightly wide front post anyways so widening it would be a win-win for me.

thanks!

Lou Lou Lou
04-25-2019, 04:22 PM
I may be wrong, but adding thickness to the right side of the front sight will move poi to the left. Leave the front sight alone and work with read sight. Acronym FORS, front opposite, rear same. Open rear sight to the right

Obi2winky
04-25-2019, 04:29 PM
I may be wrong, but adding thickness to the right side of the front sight will move poi to the left. Leave the front sight alone and work with read sight. Acronym FORS, front opposite, rear same. Open rear sight to the right

you're right, I would have to ad it to the left side. The problem is that the rear sight might be a bit more work to fix. If you're in Hopkinton this weekend I'll show you and maybe you can give me a few suggestions.

Lou Lou Lou
04-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Can’t make it, but your team commander is a great gunsmith. Talk to Walt Clark. Can’t go wrong

Obi2winky
04-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Can’t make it, but your team commander is a great gunsmith. Talk to Walt Clark. Can’t go wrong

gotcha, will miss you sir!

bobanderson
04-26-2019, 07:18 AM
I've seen (and owned) several skirmish guns that have the rear notch/peep offset to adjust for windage. I might be guilty of doing it to a few myself. The worst offset correction I ever made was to my Henry repro where the rear peep is way over. (I know the rear sight is in a dovetail, but that looked worse than moving the peep.)

Anyways, I made a fixture that clamps to the barrel on a musket and allows me to set the windage on a dovetailed front sight rather than the rear. I've done it on my Mississippi, my Grandson's SN&WTC Springfield and several friend's guns. A friend of mine, a 50 year skirmisher, told me he had never seen anything like it.

If anyone is interested, I could take some pictures and post them here along with the method of operation.

(I'd do it right now, but I'm feeling lazy this morning, plus I'm interested in how many people would like to see it.)

Kevin Tinny
04-26-2019, 08:52 AM
Thanks, Bob:
Please add the photo's.
Kevin

Obi2winky
04-26-2019, 11:54 PM
I've seen (and owned) several skirmish guns that have the rear notch/peep offset to adjust for windage. I might be guilty of doing it to a few myself. The worst offset correction I ever made was to my Henry repro where the rear peep is way over. (I know the rear sight is in a dovetail, but that looked worse than moving the peep.)

Anyways, I made a fixture that clamps to the barrel on a musket and allows me to set the windage on a dovetailed front sight rather than the rear. I've done it on my Mississippi, my Grandson's SN&WTC Springfield and several friend's guns. A friend of mine, a 50 year skirmisher, told me he had never seen anything like it.

If anyone is interested, I could take some pictures and post them here along with the method of operation.

(I'd do it right now, but I'm feeling lazy this morning, plus I'm interested in how many people would like to see it.)

i dont have a dovetail so can't use it, but I'm curious to see it as well

jonk
04-27-2019, 12:24 AM
I started with a P-58 Euroarms that had no dovetails and shot off to the side. Eventually I replaced the rear sight with a peep and drilled it where it needed to be, but leading up to that, after installing a taller sight blade (which involved filing off the original sight and cutting a notch in the front sight base, and soldering a piece of brass stock into it) I still found it was shooting off center.

It was a simple matter to take another piece of brass sheet and solder it to the side of the one I had just installed, then file to correct windage as needed.

Simple job if you can solder.

Obi2winky
04-29-2019, 09:08 PM
I started with a P-58 Euroarms that had no dovetails and shot off to the side. Eventually I replaced the rear sight with a peep and drilled it where it needed to be, but leading up to that, after installing a taller sight blade (which involved filing off the original sight and cutting a notch in the front sight base, and soldering a piece of brass stock into it) I still found it was shooting off center.

It was a simple matter to take another piece of brass sheet and solder it to the side of the one I had just installed, then file to correct windage as needed.

Simple job if you can solder.

I have a lot of experience soldering electronics but not metals. Do I just use silver solder? And do I heat the existing sight or the brass sheet? Wasn't sure if heating the barrel area was a good idea.

Lou Lou Lou
04-29-2019, 10:15 PM
Try low temperature solder. Yes you can “tin” the part with flux and solder before attaching

Rick R
05-17-2019, 05:57 PM
This is a little crazy but I have done it twice successfully. This is not applicable to the exact question but you might find fits other circumstances. After installing a tall front sight use a rear notch leaf sight and shoot a group. Calculate the estimated location for a peep. Drill your peep way oversize and thread it. I don't remember if I used 10 x 32 or 1/4 x 28, you'll want fine threads. Thread in a screw and cut not quite flush. Drill a peep intentionally off center in the piece of screw. Now by rotating the plug with the peep hole in it you are adjusting windage. Since it's passing through an arc you are also changing elevation but the intent here is to use the offset hole for windage and file the front sight for the final elevation. When you drill the initial hole you want to make sure that a peep location anywhere from the full left or right extreems still leaves the front sight tall enough.

I also made the peep smaller than the final desired size and drilled it out later after nailing down the position. You'll need to take a torch to the range because the threaded peep bushing for lack of a better term needs to be soldered in place. For adjustments heat it up and stick the drill shank in it and rotate. let it cool and test fire. Rinse and repeat. Drill out the final size then finish flush. Then adjust the front sight height.