PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Yakiman
04-24-2019, 03:28 PM
I'm a complete nube with this stuff and just started getting some things. Won an auction on some items and this forage cap is among them. The inside appears to have a drawstring and extra material. What is it for?

Maillemaker
04-24-2019, 06:16 PM
It's an adjustable liner. Looks like the hat part is so tall your head could disappear into the hat, so it has an adjustable liner so it sits on your head right. I have no idea if this is a historically correct liner or not.

Steve

threepdr
04-24-2019, 06:25 PM
the hat has a lot of issues historically, but the lining's purpose is as Steven suggested.

Yakiman
04-24-2019, 06:29 PM
the hat has a lot of issues historically, but the lining's purpose is as Steven suggested.

The hat goes to my son to wear to the Blue Jackets hockey games - but I am curious as to the historically incorrect issues, it would help me when I buy one for myself. My son pulled up this picture of an original that sold for more than $2k - guess the liner is original design.

Muley Gil
04-24-2019, 08:25 PM
One thing that sticks out is that the top of the original has a welt and the repo doesn't. The buckle on the chin strap is incorrect also.

Dheisey#7003
04-29-2019, 07:24 PM
The photo titled "Kepi" is actually a 1858 Forage cap commonly known as a "Bummer cap" That is why it has a welt and the kepi in the first photo does not as they were not made that way.

Rob FreemanWBR
05-28-2019, 07:20 AM
For the author of this post.

Suggest you contact the proprietor, Bill of “Dirty Billy’s”. Look him up via Google.

He runs a period headwear establishment in Gettysburg, PA. He’ll be able to tell you more about your hat/bummer in question than you can imagine.

Not making a pitch, but without a doubt, Billy makes the FINEST repo Civil War Head gear anywhere. You WILL pay for what you get, but everything he makes he stands behind, and it’s absolutely FIRST RATE and accurate to the smallest detail. I’ve bought a bummer and bee hive hat from him, so I am a happy and repeat customer.

He used to run a stall in Suttlers Row many moons ago.