PDA

View Full Version : Preventing wood erosion & scorching behind nipple on military rifle/musket?

Koauk
04-14-2019, 10:30 PM
I've had my Pedersoli 1841 Mississippi rifle out a couple of times and have noticed that the wood just behind the nipple is scorched and the wood has very slightly eroded.

Is there a way to prevent this? A flash cup won't fit.

musketnut
04-14-2019, 10:38 PM
I've seen some guys use a small piece of aluminum duct tape to protect that area.

Muley Gil
04-15-2019, 12:24 AM
My daddy used to shoot a Navy Arms Zouave that a previous owner had inlaid a small brass plate in that area.

John Holland
04-15-2019, 10:47 AM
The suggestions of covering the wood are positive fixes. In addition to that, perhaps a replacement nipple with a smaller flash hole will also help to improve the situation.

Koauk
04-16-2019, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the responses! I tried using a piece of leather that I tied on behind the nipple/bolster (suggested on another forum). It works just fine though I will need a new piece of leather each time as it eats away at it. Going to try a thicker piece of leather to see if it will take more abuse.

MR. GADGET
04-16-2019, 08:49 AM
One big thing is the wood. If the wood dry, no oil or finish it will burn fast. It you have added BLO to it and cured you will be a lot better off. If you oil it, that works also.

An easy thing is to get the aluminum tape to add or get brass shim stock cut out and glue or tape with double sided tape like 3M auto tape. It is made to take heat, weather and so on.
Most auto stores carry it.

When you find the shape you want to use just make several add the tape, place in pill bottle and they will be ready to go if one comes off. Brass can be molded to fit really easy.

efritz
04-16-2019, 10:56 AM
I’ve used black electrical tape behind and forward of the nipple for umteen years.

Southron Sr.
04-18-2019, 01:28 PM
I have seen an original M1842 that had such bad "wood erosion" from the cap blast, you could see down into the lock's innards!

Generally, IF YOU ARE GLASS BEDDING THE BREECH AREA... then a little bit of glass bedding behind the bolster fence will take care of the problem.

A FAST AND EASY CURE. Take out a regular pair of house hold scissors and then cut out some aluminum from a beer or soft drink can you have lying around the house.

Then simply bend and install this piece of aluminum to protect the wood behind the bolster fence. Usually the inside of soft drink cans are "brass colored" anyway. I would also cut out the aluminum "patch" big enough so it would held in place by the tang and lock plate when the barrel and lock are installed. The aluminum will protect your wood behind the bolster fence from "cap burn."

This is a "zero cost" fix IF you have some empty beer or soft drink cans around your house...OR you can go out and buy a 6 pack or case of beer IF you need an excuse for doing the same!