PDA

View Full Version : 1862 Pocket Navy Revolver

MikeM.
04-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Went to tap the wedge out of my 2nd generation Colt 1862 Pocket Navy tonight( I have only had it a week) and the base pin completely broke in half where the wedge goes through. Can anybody tell me if this can be repaired using maybe Uberti parts or is the gun pretty much trash??How is the base pin even in there?? I saw where Taylor's list the base pin in their Uberti parts section. Can anybody recommend a gunsmith to do such a repair ?? Help Please Anybody :cry: ....Mike

Richard Hill
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM
The Second Generation Colts are supposed to be Uberti parts assembled under contract for Colt by Iver Johnson. Uberti parts should fit. It's threaded into the frame. The gun being a Second Generation Colt, I would suggest you find somebody with experience with cap-n-ball Colts to do the repair. Look on the sutler page of the N-SSA's web site and start sending emails to see who will do it, or who knows somebody that can.

Gaucho Gringo
04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Be careful trying to take the arbor (it's correct name) out. If you pull the hammer back and look you will see the back of it. On some of Colt revolvers it is pinned or keyed with a pin or set screw. This has to be removed before removing the arbor. Here is a picture

Ron/The Old Reb
04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
You should be able to send it back to Colt for repair. I would call Colt and explain what happen. They may repaired it free of charged being that it is new. Seams odd that it should brake by just taping out the wedge.

nobade
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I just finished repairing a Uberti 1862 pocket police yesterday, for a similar reason. The factory makes the arbors too short, so they are not supported properly and will break or bend. The only place I found replacement parts was Cimarron, and they were great to deal with. I did have to drill out the pin that locks the arbor to the frame, but once done the arbor unscrewed easily. The new one had to be fit, and was too short. I managed to get it to work well by adding a set screw to the front end to adjust the length, but if I did it again I'd just make a new arbor with the proper dimensions. At least now I have a well fitted revolver that shouldn't tear itself up again.

John Holland
04-17-2010, 10:09 AM
nobade,

You noted that you had to drill out a "locking pin." Where in the frame was the locking pin located?

Thanks,
John

Gaucho Gringo
04-17-2010, 03:56 PM
The picture in the third post shows where it is.

Eggman
04-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Mr. Gringo - your photo also makes a strong case for using the correct screwdriver on your Colt - or any other firearm. Of course my old eyes would never have noticed without your 128X magnification.