PDA

View Full Version : What year did Pietta correct the Smith Carbine barrel problem?

Bob Hatfield
03-05-2019, 09:39 PM
The reason I ask is that I am looking at one that has a 2001 date code "BP". I've read that early Pietta Smith's barrels were bored incorrectly.

Thank you,

Bob

Lou Lou Lou
03-06-2019, 07:19 AM
Easiest method is t tap bullet through from breech. If it falls out the muzzle its backwards

John Holland
03-06-2019, 10:07 AM
It wasn't a year date, but rather a serial number range. I do not remember what that range was, although as I recall it was printed in the Skirmish Line at the time it was discovered.

george7542
03-06-2019, 01:34 PM
I have one that is either in the 1600 or 1900 serial number dont recall but can check later that was rifles backwards.

Having checked my pietta smith the serial number 1927 and was rifled backwards.

Bob Hatfield
03-09-2019, 09:58 AM
The one I'm looking at has the number M42XX range. I'm assuming it has a good barrel. You all know what they say about assuming.

Thanks all

Bob

Harry Gaul
03-09-2019, 10:16 AM
I thought the magic number for "good" rifling was 1352. That is the number that I went on. Serial number 1927 implies that I could be wrong. I have seen Smith's at gun shows with little or no rifling, and they could have been made for the Reenactor market. My advice is to buy as cheaply as possible and then try it and if it does not work, you can have the barrel relined. Repro Smith also have another problem. The bolster is drilled too deep and the fire from the cap does not go directly into the channel and through the breech and into the cartridge. There are guys who can fix that as well but the cost will be around $125 plus or minus. What the Hades! It is only money. That is part of Skirmishing. Tinker here, Tinker there and when All else fails, buy another Carbine.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
Harry
3rd US
03626v

george7542
03-09-2019, 10:13 PM
Harry the magic number very well could have been the first 1352 barrels. However it doesn't mean that someone didnt throw a barrel in the rifling machine backwards every once in awhile. The quality control departments in today's in age lacks something to be desired.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-10-2019, 11:53 AM
The barrels were rifled ok. The problem came when they decided which end got the threading for the dropping block. They choose the wrong end. When you rifle a barrel, one end ends up bigger inside than the other. It has to do with which end the tooling starts in. Yeck Smiths had a similar problem occasionally and they were not grouped by a serial number lot.

Ron The Old Reb
03-16-2019, 02:57 PM
If the price is right buy it and have Bobby Hoyt sleeve it. Then you know it's right and will shoot good groups.

Lou Lou Lou
03-16-2019, 03:51 PM
A new Pietta lists for $1,100. Then you need a trigger job. After that, some end up needing the tumbler reshaped. Some folks have had to construct a fire channel because there is a cavern under the nipple.
Originals are going for $1,400_$2,000.

If you can get it cheap enough, you might try it. I suggest buying the cheapest original you can afford.
worst case you might need it reline. Just my opinion, for what it is worth

musketnut
05-03-2019, 11:37 AM
I was just curious if anyone could expand on what the correct rifling should be on a pietta smith? Should the muzzle end grooves be a few thousandths shallower than at the breech with the lands remaining consistent? EMF is now selling new ones for $1305 (when available) and an identifiable "bad" one could probably be purchased for a deal and then just be lined as suggested by Ron.

Also which other breech loading carbines have progressive depth rifling? I don't think maynards were made with progressive depth rifling.

R. McAuley 3014V
05-13-2019, 12:53 PM
It had been my understanding that the barrels had been improperly heat treated such that the middle portion was softer than the two ends, such that when the barrels were broach rifled, the cutter cut deeper in the middle where the metal was softer. Like most breechloaders, the bullet get swaged as the move through the barrel such that the tightest point should be the muzzle. I had one of the bad barrels and first tried lapping the bore before deciding to have Hoyt reline it. Problem solved.

Lou Lou Lou
05-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Interesting. I had always heard they were rifled backward with muzzle larger than breech. Thank you for the clarification. You can buy an original shooter for 1,400. can’t see buying the Pietta

Randall
05-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Sounds like an original Smith in good shape is the way to go then. Plus you have something that with hold its value through the years if cared for.

Lou Lou Lou
05-30-2019, 01:32 PM
I saw 5 original Smiths $1,200 or less at Nationals. Took the best one home.

RaiderANV
05-30-2019, 06:06 PM
I.......Took the best one home.

Dern yankees.......

Don Dixon
05-30-2019, 07:00 PM
It had been my understanding that the barrels had been improperly heat treated such that the middle portion was softer than the two ends, such that when the barrels were broach rifled, the cutter cut deeper in the middle where the metal was softer. Like most breechloaders, the bullet get swaged as the move through the barrel such that the tightest point should be the muzzle. I had one of the bad barrels and first tried lapping the bore before deciding to have Hoyt reline it. Problem solved.

I had two new Smith carbines from Navy. Both of them were larger at the muzzle than the breech. To the firm's credit, Navy accepted the return of both.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

george7542
05-30-2019, 07:04 PM
Lou I took home an original smith at nationals for far less the 1200 and she is a nice shooter

RaiderANV
05-30-2019, 07:43 PM
I had two new Smith carbines from Navy. Both of them were larger at the muzzle than the breech. To the firm's credit, Navy accepted the return of both.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

Val had a deal with Hoyt for a few years to just reline any that had the problem. Deal expired with Val.

John Holland
05-31-2019, 09:51 AM
Val Forgett stood behind the improperly bored Smith Carbines by replacing any that were returned to Navy Arms. Val also brought a huge pile of the returns to his booth at Sutler's Row and sold them dirt cheap, with the caveat that they needed either to be relined, or have the barrel replaced. Many skirmishers took advantage of this deal because the pile disappeared very quickly. Val was always the businessman!

RaiderANV
06-01-2019, 04:10 PM
No offense intended Pat, but speaking for hundreds if not thousands of readers of this BB -- who was your typing instructor???

FAT thumbs on a small cell phone key board. =}