PDA

View Full Version : 1842 .69 cal Rifled Musket

George Greer
04-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I am a first time poster on this site (or any other site for that matter) so please be easy on me. I have been around muzzleloading for about 28 years now and have been spending time on your site recently and have found it extremely interesting. I just recently purchased a 1842 .69 cal rifled musket and have spent considerable amount of time trying to work up an acceptable load. The only source for a bullet that I have found is through Dixie gun works. I am somewhat of a "traditionalist" and was hoping to stick with what I consider an original style bullet. I arrived at a 70grain powder charge so far. The only issue that remains is that I have to set the rear sight to the 200yd setting to hit at proper height at 50yds!!! I read some of the other posts around bullet sizing, barrel bending (sounds scary), and other things that caught my attention. Does anyone have any thoughts? I measured the barrel ID and came up with approximately .695". I measured a sampling of the bullets and found them to measure around .685" on average (also notable is that the quality of the grooves around the base is terrible. In some spots they are non existent. Not sure if this is pertinent). I saw a post where someone made a fixture to expand the bullet base to get a better fit but what is considered a "good fit"? I know I am limiting myself by buying the bullets instead of making my own but I want to take this a step at a time. My current goal is to obtain a level of accuracy for deer hunting within 100 yds.
As an aside, I used to reinact with the 3rd Va but only did so for a couple of years. I recieved a gread deal of grief when I explained that I used my rifles to fire live rounds at home so I just kind of phased out of the reinacting thing. The NSSA looks more in line of what I have been looking for. I live in Smithfield Va and would be interested to know where the nearest group is. Thanks in advance for all the help! Hopefully I dont regret the post.

George Greer
04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
OOPS! I just noticed that I mispelled "reenact". So much for being a credible poster!

John Holland
04-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Mr. Greer,

Welcome to the North-South Skirmish Association's Bulletin Board. I hope your experience is a pleasant one!

The N-SSA has, or has had, quite a few members in your general area, and as I recall there were even some in Smithfield at one time. There is a heavy concentration around Norfolk and Chesapeake, too. There are even skirmishes in that area that you can attend to see first hand what we really do. I feel quite sure someone near you will step up and offer personal assistance.

Best wishes and good luck!

Sincerely,
John Holland
Bulletin Board Moderator
Chairman, Small Arms Committee
Etc.

matt
04-07-2010, 05:05 PM
mr. greer,
did you measure the land dia? or the groove dia? if the groove dia is .695 thats not a big deal. if the land dia is .695 you would have to find some one with a mold that casts a very large .69 cal minnie. i have a rapine 685 500 grain that with pure lead and high casting temps puts out a minnie between .693 and .695 depending on how hot the mold gets. the bore on the armi sport 1842's are all on the larger side. let me know what you have and i may be able to send you some minnies to try in your bore. my bore is .692 i size them to .690
matt
winslows battery
9775v

George Greer
04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Matt

Thanks for the response!! I remeasured everything tonight and got a minimum diameter of the bore (at the muzzle) of .690" which should be on top of the lands. I pulled several more bullets and got slightly different results than I did last time. I measured a half dozen of them and got .687" as the average diameter with about .003" out of roundness. With these numbers, I think the fit of these bullets to the bore seem fairly reasonable. Now I am absolutely puzzled. I cant explain how (shooting from a bench rest) that the gun is not even on paper at 50 yds with the rear sight in its lowest position (marked 100 yds) I have to slide the rear sight to the 200yd setting to get it to hit on the correct height. Am I remotely close with a charge of 70 gr of FFG Goex Black Powder? To add to the excitement, the front spring that holds the nose cap in place just had the post that runs through the stock break off of it. Know where I can get parts?

Hambone
04-08-2010, 01:04 AM
I am assuming that your gun is an Armisport. If so there is information available on their website at http://armisport.com/eng/azienda.htm .The importer who also carries parts is in Winchester, Va. and their website is http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/. According to Dixie's catalog the barrel should be .690-lands and .704-grooves.

matt
04-08-2010, 07:16 AM
for the gun to be shooting high with stock sights is not uncommon you can solve that by grinding off the front sight and soldering on a taller sight which you then file to raise the strike of the round. as to your bullet size it sounds like good to go. also know that if you are buying cast bullets and you can no longer get the ones you have sighted your gun for if they are heavier than what you normally use the strike will higher and if lighter lower. the best way to do this is to get a mold pure lead and a pot and cast your own. then you get to control the quality of the round not someone else.
matt
winslow's battery 9775

matt
04-08-2010, 07:22 AM
mr greer
i misread your post, you are having problems with the round striking low. id still put a new front sight on the front band and would then file the sight dont worry about what notch it is on as long as you can get a good sight picture. i know with my 47 fremont the 100 yd setting is useless as i cant see the front sight at all so i put into the 200 yd sight and modify from there. either the front sight down to raise the round or file the step to lower the round.
hope this helps
matt
winslows battery 9775v