PDA

View Full Version : rockets

rampa_room_artillery
08-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Has there ever been a civil war rocket demo at a shoot??
Does anyone even make a reproduction of the launcher tube?
How would you create the fuel or would you use large modle rocket motors

Food for though on new artillery ideas

rick bryan
3rd va. co B

R. C. Hubbard Jr
08-04-2008, 08:48 PM
First Q. , Not to my knowledge. I think the ATF would have problems with the firing of explosive rockets.

You could copy one of the original launchers which are still around; such as this one.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/guardsgunner/halelaunch.jpg

This sent to me by a member of this board.

And last, the information for the manufacture of "WAR " rockets can be found in the ordnance manual's and the Artillerist's manual some of which can be found on line. This includes both comp. and iron work.
Good luck in your research

rampa_room_artillery
08-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok so we cant make the rockets explode, :cry: ohwell, but i think size f modle rocket motors will work quite well. Setting the woods on fire might be a problem though. Maybe I will try to work on some info and then maybe for the like 125th national skirmish we can do a demo?

Just food for thought.

Rick bryan
3rd va. co B

R. C. Hubbard Jr
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I had given thought to doing the same thing at one time. One of my civil war relatives, (thankfully not a New Yorker but a Canadian :oops: ) after his enlistment in the 28th NY Inf.'s time was up, enlisted in Battery A 1st NY Rocket Battalion. Their history is included in the 24 NYLA history. The directional control was so bad they were given 6 pdrs. and converted to regular LIght Artillery. It does mention setting fire to something they were not aiming at while shooting down the Potomac river while stationed and training in Washington DC.
Their launch tubes were mounted on carriages as regular artillery. 5 on ea. ,I think.
Anyway, Here is a good place to start. http://www.civilwarartillery.com/books/GIBBON.PDF

John Holland
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Bob,

The link to the Artillerists Manual was fantastic! You sure come up with some good stuff.

Many years ago I read the history of the "24th N.Y. Battery". Your brief description is pretty accurate. One of the things I always remembered from the history was that the rockets, when fired, went pretty much anywhere they pleased!

John

RaiderANV
08-07-2008, 04:20 PM
This was actually covered on Myth-Busters (TV show). They made the Confederate version and fired the sucker. Was an entire hour on the topic. They've shown it like 4 times in the past few months.