PDA

View Full Version : Practice Pistol

musketnut
02-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Hey do any of you guys/gals practice with a non blackpowder revolver or pistol to keep your chops up at the indoor range (where black powder is typically not allowed) in the winter? Would love to hear what your practice revolver is and why you chose that as your practice piece.

Thanks!

Jim

Kevin Tinny
02-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Hello:

Might want to consider a decent side-cocking pellet pistol.

Great indoors, relatively cheap shooting into simple trap and low velocity forces close attention to the basics of hold, sight picture and follow-through. They WILL disclose EVERY flaw in your technique!
But that's what you want. No casting, caps or cleanup, too.

Years ago went from Expert to Lifetime Master NRA with FWB shot 30 careful shots three night a week during winter.

All the best,

Kevin Tinny

RaiderANV
02-06-2019, 12:43 PM
I have a .22 cal western style revolver and an original Maynard in .22 long rifle also. Fun to play with shooting across the great room a down the hall into a bullet trap. Yes I only even missed once and had the hole in the drywall patched and paint before anyone got home. I sneezed while pulling the trigger.

musketnut
02-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Pat is nuts shooting .22s inside his home but the pellet pistol might be doable (in my household). What does FWB stand for? Feinwerkbau?

Hello:

Might want to consider a decent side-cocking pellet pistol.

Great indoors, relatively cheap shooting into simple trap and low velocity forces close attention to the basics of hold, sight picture and follow-through. They WILL disclose EVERY flaw in your technique!
But that's what you want. No casting, caps or cleanup, too.

Years ago went from Expert to Lifetime Master NRA with FWB shot 30 careful shots three night a week during winter.

All the best,

Kevin Tinny

Kevin Tinny
02-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Yep on FWB being Fein...

Agree on issues with household indoor 22's.
Once had to explain a very visible 22 short slug stuck on the outer edge BETWEEN panes of a thermo window!

Pellets don't do that.

Kevin

RaiderANV
02-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Naw...... only one itty bitty problem outta 1,000’s of .22’s fires inside. I patched and painted the wall in about ten minutes. Now a window would have been days. =}

Lou Lou Lou
02-06-2019, 03:39 PM
I remember a skirmisher who shot at a critter with a .45 in his kitchen. He missed

Chris Sweeney
02-06-2019, 05:12 PM
I use a Uberti repro 1875 Remington revolver in 44-40. load up some 200 grain bullets with just enough trail boss to get to the paper. looks and feels just like a 1858 Rem cap and ball, and you don't have to clean it every time you shoot it.

Maillemaker
02-06-2019, 05:47 PM
On a whim, I took a .223 laser cartridge (this is a .223 cartridge with a laser inside it - you can chamber the round and use it to roughly bore-sight your sites) and wrapped some tape on it and stuck it in the barrel of a .44 revolver.

Then I practiced holding the revolver still enough to keep the laser dot on some feature on the wall, like, say, a picture of my mother-in-law. :)

Steve

Jim Wimbish, 10395
02-06-2019, 08:30 PM
I shoot a IZH Baikal 46M Match Pellet Pistol. It is a .177 single pump. I put a holosight on it and shoot it in the basement at 10 meters. Great for practice.

Mike McDaniel
02-06-2019, 10:52 PM
My normal routine over the winter is air pistol. It helps to shoot a monthly match. I'm behind on practice, but the normal routine is 20-30 shots, three to four times per week. Pistol is normally a Steyr LP10, but I dabble with a FWB P44 also.