PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Sharps bore size

Maillemaker
02-02-2019, 09:08 PM
I took the Pedersoli Sharps bullet and a Lee Rapine copy and measured them. The rear driving band on both bullets was about .544 in diameter.

I pushed these through the bore of my Pedersoli Sharps, and the OD of the rear band was shaved to .539-.540. The groove depth in the bullet measures about .008 deep.

So, I take this to mean that the grove diameter in the bore is .539-.540, and the bore diameter is .524.

Does this sound right for the Pedersoli Sharps?

Charlie Hahn
02-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Does your Sharps have 6 or seven grooves? I would expect the true size to be nearer to .543/.544. If you use outside micrometers it is easy to compress the soft lead and get a false reading. You want the driving band to be about .003 to .004 over groove size. You will find that some guns have a little difference in groove diameter and the larger bullet helps with sealing. One more variable is the width of the driving band. If it is equal to the bullet groove width, (about .07 wide) the driving band can be larger in diameter. Rapine, Moose, and Brooks are usually twice as wide on the back band and helps to maintain the seal while in bore.

Regards

Charlie Hahn

Maillemaker
02-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info, Charlie.

I'm not at home to double-check, but according to the Pedersoli web site the 1859 Sharps Cavalry has 7 grooves.

I measured using digital calipers by spinning the bullet gently between the flats of the gauge until it pushed them apart to their maximum reading.

Then I used the tail of the caliper to try and measure the depth of the groove. It was hard to hold the caliper perpendicular to the edge of the groove but I got pretty consistent measurements .007-.008" deep.

I'm working up a drawing for a copy of the Confederate Sharps bullet and the original we are copying has a maximum diameter of .545". We are trying to see if that is a good diameter to use for a reproduction of it. It sounds like it is probably good to me. What do you think?

This bullet has a heel that is .526" in diameter, designed for paper cartridges to be glued to it. Do you think this would fit in your tubes? I think your tubes are .47" in diameter?

Steve

Charlie Hahn
02-04-2019, 02:25 PM
The technique you are using with the dial veneer is correct. If you are having a mould made .545 is nominal and should shoot with out sizing. The heel or ring tail should be .465 nominal this will allow for production tolerance of the tubes and any casting changes. Make sure the sealing ring is between .125 and .150 wide.

If you have a sketch I could give a quick look before you commit to build.

Regards

Charlie

threepdr
02-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Charlie,

I sent you a private message with a drawing of the bullet.

The technique you are using with the dial veneer is correct. If you are having a mould made .545 is nominal and should shoot with out sizing. The heel or ring tail should be .465 nominal this will allow for production tolerance of the tubes and any casting changes. Make sure the sealing ring is between .125 and .150 wide.

If you have a sketch I could give a quick look before you commit to build.

Regards

Charlie

bobanderson
02-05-2019, 05:25 AM
In 2012, I was working up a load for a new Pedersoli 1859 Sharps and couldn't figure out the bore size so I sent an email to Pedersoli Customer Service. Text from that email is provided below...

July 2, 2012.

Dear Mr. Anderson,

Thank you for your inquiry and the preference in our guns.

You should be having the .54 caliber. The bore is .520" and the grooves are .540"
The bullets we offer for this Sharps rifle are .541"

Best regards,
Gloria

DAVIDE PEDERSOLI & C.
Via Artigiani, 57
I-25063 GARDONE VALTROMPIA
(BRESCIA) ITALY
ph. +39 030 8915000
fax +39 030 8911019
WWW.DAVIDE-PEDERSOLI.COM

Maillemaker
02-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info, Bob! My bore seems to measure closely to that.

Not sure about the bullet dimension but I'm casting with a 20:1 alloy so they may be talking about a pure lead drop.

Thanks again for the info!

Steve

threepdr
02-06-2019, 10:40 PM
Charlie,

I replied to your private message, but I can't tell if it was actually transmitted to you. I appreciate your imput on the Richmond Sharps bullet design. To answer your question, there will be 40 molds in this run. I will make sure one of those has your name on it.

Thanks

Mark Hubbs