PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay two hammer musket

Jim Wimbish, 10395
01-31-2019, 10:51 AM
Attached is a photo of the Lindsay two hammer musket, I couldn't add the photo to the other thread. This particular gun has a single barrel and two triggers and was designed to be double charged, with the top charge discharged by the right hammer and the bottom charge discharged by the left. It did not work well under combat conditions and a number of guns actually blew up. The gun is not safe to shoot when double charged. If you see a gun like this on the line, have it taken off the line immediately. It is not a legal firearm for NSSA competition.

MR. GADGET
01-31-2019, 11:21 AM
I remembered reading and seeing one someplace.
Very good info. Just did not ever think someone would try anything like that on the line.

Thanks for posting.

Lou Lou Lou
01-31-2019, 11:53 AM
Member restored a cut down and wanted to shoot just one barrel. He inquired beforehand and there was a ruling to disallow the firearm completely.

John Robey
01-31-2019, 02:06 PM
The Board of Directors has disallowed the Lindsay from N-SSA use.

John Robey
Rules Officer

Muley Gil
01-31-2019, 02:15 PM
The Board of Directors has disallowed the Lindsay from N-SSA use.

John Robey
Rules Officer

Lou stated that the Lindsay has two barrels, in a roundabout way, not just one.

Mike McDaniel
01-31-2019, 02:56 PM
Spoilsports. :-)

I could see allowing them...but only with one load. (the Lindsay used superimposed loads, which was the headache) But someone would get stupid..

Lou Lou Lou
01-31-2019, 03:42 PM
Apologies for my inexact speech. Member only wanted to single load.

jim14th
01-31-2019, 05:20 PM
John , what is the reasoning behind having a Lindsay disallowed / banned? from usage in a safe manner?

RaiderANV
01-31-2019, 06:36 PM
Back when it was first banned it was because the possibility existed to load two rounds and cheat. I shot mine one time back in the 80’s just to say I did. Only loaded one round and triggers are hard to work, gas leakage and you could hit chit.

John Holland
01-31-2019, 08:19 PM
There is much more to this than meets the eye, which all of you are overlooking. The superposed load, or the one on top and intended to be fired first, is ignited by an ignition channel that runs upwards through the sidewall of the barrel parallel to the bore. This ignition channel exits the sidewall into the bore where the upper powder charge is intended to be. The safety concern regarding this is that the exit port will fill with carbon from only the bottom charge being fired. The potential for this upper ignition port to become filled with carbon and become a "glow plug", which in turn can cause premature ignition when the powder for the bottom load is poured down the barrel, will compound exponentially as the arm is continued to be fired with only the bottom charge. All of this was spelled out in the supporting documentation which was included in the Agenda Packet for the Board meeting.

RaiderANV
01-31-2019, 09:15 PM
Excellent point John.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
01-31-2019, 10:57 PM
We had a discussion of the Lindsay back in Dec. 2015. The potential problem of the forward flash channel fouling was noted. Thread is still out there if anyone is interested in reading it. What changed is that someone wanted to actually shoot one in NSSA matches.