PDA

View Full Version : Moose mold choice for Pedersoli Sharps

keweenaw
01-21-2019, 07:10 PM
I see that Moose molds has two 54 caliber molds, the Christmas tree and the France designs. What is the consensus on these two bullets in terms of accuracy? Or, are there other molds that trump both of these? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maillemaker
01-21-2019, 10:35 PM
I would like to hear folks' opinion on this also. I currently shoot the Pedersoli Sharps mold and accuracy is just so-so.

Steve

EPPS1919
01-21-2019, 11:18 PM
I shoot the Christmas tree from moose in a IAB Sharps Carbine. It will put them in one nice ragged hole at 50 yards from the bench rest .544 dia bullet with 42 gr 2f goex and Charlie's tubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobanderson
01-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Dave France designed his bullet for the Shiloh Sharps carbine. It has a straight profile rather than the 3 different diameters on the Lyman and other designs for that gun. Back then, Dave published a series of articles on shooting the Sharps carbine (which used to be available on one of the skirmishing websites). He advocated nitrating paper and creating a cartridge that was glued around the bullet's lube grooves leaving a tail that was snipped off when the breech closed exposing the powder to the flame from the cap.
When the Moose first started making moulds, I had him make the cherry for that bullet from a blueprint that Mr. France published years ago. Using it in a Pedersoli 1859 Sharps, it gave outstanding accuracy. In it's original form, that bullet does not have a ring tail to facilitate attaching one of Hahn's tubes. I shot it using a form of the loader sold by Yore Supply. In use, it placed the bullet into the lead of the rifling and left loose powder behind that. Contrary to popular misconceptions, there is no problem shooting black powder loads that do not completely fill the chamber.
I sold that gun and acquired a Shiloh along with a ringtail mould made by NEI. It shot ok, but the mould had seen hard use and I looked for another option, finally settling on Moose's 544-480. Although I compete with it, I still feel I can do better.
I've spoken to the Moose about a France mould with a ringtail, which he has made in the past, but just haven't bought one to try it.
I still consider my Sharps carbine a work in progress. I'm a big fan of the action so I'll keep working with it until I figure it out.

keweenaw
01-22-2019, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the response. Is it possible to obtain the articles written by Dave France that was mentioned? Would love to get a copy.

Maillemaker
01-22-2019, 09:18 AM
I'd like a copy also.

He advocated nitrating paper and creating a cartridge that was glued around the bullet's lube grooves leaving a tail that was snipped off when the breech closed exposing the powder to the flame from the cap.

Sounds like he was making a "paper patched" bullet, though I imagine the paper was stripped off as it passed into the rifling.

Steve

keweenaw
01-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Related to this thread I suppose: Is there an archive of shooting tips/tricks that can be accessed and searched? If so, how may I access? I should think this would be most useful.

geezmo
01-22-2019, 10:12 AM
I believe the Dave France articles, that Bob is referring to, is a three part series which appeared in the March/April, May/June and July/August of 1994 issues of the Skirmish Line. Each one is only 3 to 4 pages long. The first article covers the guns and how to tweak them; the second covers the bullet design, alloys, lubes and powder charges; and the third goes into the cartridge making. Throughout the series he sites related references. Having recycled all of my old Skirmsh Lines years ago, I was able to find those old copies on Ebay. I don't know if any of that old stuff has been electronically archived by the Association or not. It is worth the read.

Barry Selzner

Jim Wimbish, 10395
01-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Even though I almost exclusively shoot a 36 cal. Maynard, I now have a Pedersoli Sharps for stake events and just messing around. I acquired a Moose 544-480 mould with the gun and shoot Charlie Hahn's tubes with 40 grains of 2f Swiss. I size the bullets to .542" and use soft lead. Years ago I shot a Pedersoli Sharps rifle with the Pedersoli mould with bullets sized .540" and a charge of 45 grains of Goex 2f. Both guns shot extremely well. Although they require some modifications to improve the gas seal, the Pedersoli barrels are a nice hard steel and the guns are well made. Pedersoli has certainly had their challenges with breech blocks and sleeve systems. The guns have better barrels than the Shiloh's, in my opinion and I would take a Pedersoli over a Shiloh. I also shot an IAB that had been tuned and relined by Hoyt due to a lousy original bore and it shot great with an old Rapine Christmas tree bullet and nitrated paper tubes. I also shot 45 grains of Goex 2f with this gun. One day when there were rapid fire targets at 50 and 100 yards, I got 30+ hits with 36 shots with the IAB, so the Christmas tree bullet is a great shooting bullet.

keweenaw
01-22-2019, 01:05 PM
I believe the Dave France articles, that Bob is referring to, is a three part series which appeared in the March/April, May/June and July/August of 1994 issues of the Skirmish Line. Each one is only 3 to 4 pages long. The first article covers the guns and how to tweak them; the second covers the bullet design, alloys, lubes and powder charges; and the third goes into the cartridge making. Throughout the series he sites related references. Having recycled all of my old Skirmsh Lines years ago, I was able to find those old copies on Ebay. I don't know if any of that old stuff has been electronically archived by the Association or not. It is worth the read.

Barry Selzner

Anyone have these issues? If so, would you be willing to scan and make available to Sharps shooters?

ms3635v
01-22-2019, 03:30 PM
I shoot a Moose .54 ringtail bullet in 544 diameter. I use 40 grains of 3F and Charlie Hahn tubes. The carbine is very accurate with that combination.

threepdr
01-23-2019, 04:02 PM
I'm thinking about having a batch of molds made up for the late War Sharps bullet that used the linen cartridge. The long heal should make attaching a nitrated paper cartridge pretty easy.

MR. GADGET
01-23-2019, 04:18 PM
That would be a great bullet.
I picked some up a little back. It was a ring tail that was drilled out and plug added from what I remember.
Heavy but shot good. Was really easy to roll for paper tubes.

keweenaw
01-23-2019, 05:54 PM
I'm thinking about having a batch of molds made up for the late War Sharps bullet that used the linen cartridge. The long heal should make attaching a nitrated paper cartridge pretty easy.

Count me in for one please!

snapcap14
01-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Count me in for one please!
Brooks made a mold like that for me years ago. I still use it. along w sumi wad cutter that Moose made for me that is not listed on his site.

keweenaw
01-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Brooks made a mold like that for me years ago. I still use it. along w sumi wad cutter that Moose made for me that is not listed on his site.

Ran across a double cavity lee mould, christmas tree style, .545. Has anyone used on a Pedersoli sharps, and with what results? Thanks.

Bob Lintner
02-11-2019, 09:16 PM

Count me in for one also
Bob

Maillemaker
02-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Ran across a double cavity lee mould, christmas tree style, .545. Has anyone used on a Pedersoli sharps, and with what results? Thanks.

If this is the guy selling them on Ebay, I did not have good casting luck with the bullet. The bullets stuck in the mold so badly that they would fold and tear coming out of the mold. It's possible I was running too hot or not letting the lead solidify enough.

Steve

keweenaw
02-12-2019, 11:53 AM
If this is the guy selling them on Ebay, I did not have good casting luck with the bullet. The bullets stuck in the mold so badly that they would fold and tear coming out of the mold. It's possible I was running too hot or not letting the lead solidify enough.

Steve

Cast a few with this mold, seemed to work ok. But have not shot any so looking for accuracy results.