PDA

View Full Version : Splicing and rewelding barrel band

musketnut
01-16-2019, 09:50 AM
I have a model 1855 rifle and the lower barrel band is ridiculously loose. I am considering cutting out a small section of the barrel band, tig welding, grinding and polishing to see about getting a nicer fit. It is steel in the white so I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the best rod for doing this?

Thank you,

Jim

Carolina Reb
01-16-2019, 03:49 PM
If it's an original band, that wrought iron gas welds beautifully. Use a small tip and a neutral flame. If the flame goes lean on oxygen the weld can turn out unbelievably hard.

musketnut
01-16-2019, 03:53 PM
Thank you sir, it is a reproduction however. An original would have fit better LOL!

John Bly
01-16-2019, 05:01 PM
A mild steel 70 series rod will work well. I'm sure the repro band is mild steel. If not, it might get hard. If it gets hard reheat it to anneal it.

Dave Fox
01-18-2019, 06:44 AM
Or just line the interior of the band with a tad of something...like duct tape....

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
01-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Add a coating of JB Weld to the inner surface of the band then sand it for a snug fit. I must admit that I have snugged a rattling band with The Handyman's Secret Weapon.............Duct Tape.

ikesdad
01-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Or just line the interior of the band with a tad of something...like duct tape....

Or some shim stock from NAPA.

RaiderANV
01-18-2019, 01:08 PM
While duck tape may or may not have been used in my youth.....I use the aluminum foil tape used for HVAC ducts. one or two layers and your good to go. You can trim with a razor blade nicely against the band.

JB Weld I've never used but I am smiling thinking about the possibilities