PDA

View Full Version : Lorenz/jager nipples?

Chris Sweeney
01-14-2019, 02:44 PM
I was always told that original (and PH) nipples would fit in Austrian Lorenz and jagers. On the jager I'm trying to restore, the Enfield nipple is VERY loose; the pitch seems correct but the diameter is off enough so that significant fouling is blown up into the threads after a very few shots. The threads in the breech don't look terribly worn . . .

Is the Enfield nipple really spoda fit? If so, any suggestions on how to resolve the issue. I don't know if there is another standard size nipple that I can rethread the breech to use . . .

geezmo
01-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Chris,

This was discussed here a couple of times before. Search "Lorenz nipple". I think I remember one of two possible metric nipples were the best option.

Ron The Old Reb
01-14-2019, 08:19 PM
​5/16 X 20 Same as M8/1.25 Italian Musket Nipple I got them from ether Buffalo Arms or Track Of The Wolf I think it was Buffalo Arms.
You could also try putting some Teflon pipe thread tape on the Endfield nipple.

Jim Barber
01-15-2019, 12:47 AM
Not specific to this issue, but I always slather nipple threads with RIG grease ("Rust Inhibiting Grease") typically used for long-term storage. No idea what's in it, but it seems to keep em from seizing up. Also butter the underside of barrels if I'm not going to be taking them off for a while, works well to save the unseen portion from rusting up over a season's skirmishing.

Cheers!
Jim B.
Grove City, OH