PDA

View Full Version : correct military load for a 42 Springfield rifled musket

Pvt. Clownie
04-05-2010, 03:40 AM
I haven been stymied in my search for .65 cal minie balls to fire in my 42 Springfield rifled musket. I have searched the internet. I have contacted a local company (Track of the Wolf), and Dixie gunworks. I can find lots of .69 cal, but that kinda defeats the purpose behind using a minie ball. If anyone can direct me to the right place or have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Bob Green

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
04-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Being that a 1842 rifled musket is .69 Cal, you might want to try a .69 cal minie in it.

agrnbrt
04-05-2010, 07:26 PM
I haven been stymied in my search for .65 cal minie balls to fire in my 42 Springfield rifled musket. I have searched the internet. I have contacted a local company (Track of the Wolf), and Dixie gunworks. I can find lots of .69 cal, but that kinda defeats the purpose behind using a minie ball. If anyone can direct me to the right place or have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Bob Green

You have been stymied because no one makes them. You have a weapon that is .69 cal. So why do you want .65 cal. minies for it? Do you know something the rest of us do not? Please enlighten us good sir.

R. McAuley 3014V
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Can't find what you want, then maybe you should have it custom-made to your own exacting specifications $$$$

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6031

Ken Hansgen, 11094
04-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, Pvt. Clownie, you apparently have the rifled musket confused with the original smoothbore musket, which did fire a .65 cal. round ball (sometimes with 3 smaller buckshot added to increase the chances of hitting something). You do need and want a larger diameter minie ball to fit the barrel when the musket is rifled.

S.Sullivan
04-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Clownie,
When all else fails, ask Osman.
S.Sullivan

Pvt. Clownie
04-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Thank you for some intelligent replies. I have been working at a historic site for the last 5 years and have fired hundreds of rounds with the 1816 Harper's Ferry .69 cal. I have been in CW re-enacting for 7 years. I understand the difference between a smoothbore and a rifled musket. I have fired my '42 Springfield using a .69 minie which I purchased from Track of the Wolf, a local black powder supplier. It fit very tightly. I had to use grease to get it down and it took alot longer than the 20 seconds it is supposed to take to load. I like the last suggestion I got concerning the minie ball that is a little smallerthan .69. I will certainly take that into consideration.
As concerning the replies I got from this post, I am very dissappointed at some of the attitudes of the repliers. They took a high and mighty tone from the start and were insulted when I replied privately. I wil probably never post here again, no matter how much knowledge might be gained from that.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
04-06-2010, 08:49 AM
I believe that you have the correct minie for your gun. What you probably need is a sizing die to reduce the diameter of bullet by a few thousandths so that it will load easily. Many minies will not shoot as cast, but require resizing. Most of us in the NSSA have a variety of sizing dies for the different guns and bullets that we shoot.

Jim Wimbish