PDA

View Full Version : 1816 Musket conversion by Remington - questions

R. Wichman
08-03-2008, 08:51 PM
A guy I work with has two Model 1816 muskets that were converted to percussion by Remington. They have Model 1855 Maynard style locks and rear sights. They are stamped 1857. They are in very good condtion. Very nice wood, no rusted metal.

My question is, are these common or rare? Anyone care to guess at an aprox. value range?

Thanks.

Wilson Rhodes
08-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Found this little tidbit

Many 1816 U.S. Muskets were converted to the Maynard primer by the addition of new locks made by Remington Arms. They were converted, rifled and sighted at the Bridesburg Arsenal, also being fitted with the new patent breech settings at the same time.

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/(806).htm

and this.....

ITEM # 425
US Model 1816 Maynard Tape Primer Conversion Musket by Remington
Click on images for enlarged versions.

69 Caliber, 42" rifled barrel with a fine, bright bore having some light pitting towards the muzzle. The barrel of this musket has a smooth, dark overall patina without the usual pitting around the nipple and bolster. The barrel tang is marked, "1858" and the lock is marked, "REMINGTON'S/ILION, N.Y./1858/U.S." behind. The lock and Maynard primer mechanism function flawlessly. The stock has an added varnish finish over numerous small handling marks and bruises with a still visible cartouche opposite. This is a very good plus Remington Conversion overall. (1958-91) {ANTIQUE} (1000/1500) SOLD FOR $1265.00

http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/64/425.html

J Weber 4114V
08-04-2008, 09:27 PM
One thing to look at were they cut down?Many CW muskets were cut down post war to make cheep shotguns.Most were cut to 30"-32" length. They can be restored but the cut musket value is usualy as a "parts gun"

Jim_Burgess_2078V
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I have read that these muskets were converted to percussion at Frankford Arsenal, a U.S. arsensal as opposed to a contractor (Bridesburg). Frankford rifled the barrels and installed the Maynard locks that had been contracted out to Remington. It is interesting that not all of these rifled muskets were sighted. I recently purchased one at auction that lacked any provision for a rear sight. Tend to think that makes it somewhat more rare. Paid a little over $1100 ($950 bid plus buyer's premium & tax).
Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

Edwin Flint, 8427
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I seen both rifled and smoothbore with the Remington conversions over the years but have yet to see one sighted. I don't know which would be the rarer of the two.

I think if memory serves me, Remington made the locks and bolsters for the conversions and were sent to Frankford Arsenal for the actual conversion to percussion.