PDA

View Full Version : Remington Revolver Cylinder Pin Sticking

B P Shooter
01-02-2019, 09:24 AM
I purchased my son a Navy Arms Remington and the cylinder pin sticks very bad after one relay of shooting it. I asked about this on our Face Book page and got a few replies. So, I thought I would try here to get more input.

I shoot a Rogers and Spencer, so I am not familiar with the Remington. After firing, the burnt lube seems to find its way onto the pin causing it to stick. We use a beeswax and Crisco base lube. Is that the problem? Is there another lube that will not cause the pin to stick. Someone suggested lubing the pin with axle grease.

I this a common problem?

An other ideas?

CAGerringer
01-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Jeff,
I had a Pietta Remington whose pin would stick. I polished the pin and switched to Len's Lube. After 6 shots, and before I reloaded, I'd wipe the pin off and never had another problem. Other than the fact I couldn't hit anything...
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Randall
01-02-2019, 02:05 PM
I've heard that Ballistol works pretty well.

Charlie Hahn
01-03-2019, 08:51 AM
I suggest you check the face of the cylinder. I find that they can be dished toward the center. This forces the cylinder to leak directly toward the pin. I have no idea why they are made this way and see it on older repros, and on one maker currently making these, (I won't name). To give this a quick check take the cylinder out and use a straight edge and lay it across the face of the cylinder, you should see light toward the center. The dish is usually about .003 to .005 inch. Depending on how much you have shot this revolver you may also see some erosion toward the edge of the cylinder near the center, or on the edge of the barrel near the center. Granted the revolver will leak around the face of the barrel, however this condition makes for a concentrated jet, and can direct fowling in the pin area.

Charlie

B P Shooter
01-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Charlie, is there a fix if the cylinder is like you say it may be?

Don Dixon
01-07-2019, 10:23 PM
Coat the cylinder pin with high temperature anti seize compound. You will be able to shoot the match without the pin sticking.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

Charlie Hahn
01-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Yes there are several ways to deal with this. I will be at the Snow Ball and could give it a quick look and discuss the options.

Charlie

410-627-4726