PDA

View Full Version : Pietta Smith Cavalry Buttstock

Joe Plakis, 9575V
12-23-2018, 10:33 AM
I am looking for a buttstock for my carbine. My current stock gets loose over a match and believe it or not I manage to snap the buttstock screw or I lose one of the two trigger guard screws.
I see them offered online but nobody has them in stock.
Has anyone ordered on and received it in a timely manner?

Or does someone have one they can part with?

Thanks in advance

Lou Lou Lou
12-23-2018, 12:23 PM
I managed to snap two original Butt stock screws. The third was stainless from S&S.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
12-23-2018, 12:49 PM
I bought a replacement butt stock for my Pietta artillery Smith last year from VTI. It did not come in a timely manner. VTI lets them sell out, then doesn't restock until they get enough back ordered to make it worth ordering. A few months after I ordered, I called VTI to check on it's status. They told me their supplier was about to shut down for the entire month of August. VTI called their supplier, and I got the butt stock shorty thereafter.

Before VTI shipped it, they called and told me the butt stock came from the supplier with the long butt plate screw, and offered to sell it to me as a separate purchase. I declined.

I thought I was buying just a blank in the white, but it arrived completely finished, including a blued butt plate fitted into the stock. That helped explain the high price, but also made me suspect the long butt plate screw should have been included.

One more thing. On the butt stock I received, they drilled the hole for the long butt screw in two operations. Once hole started from the butt end and went a little more than halfway, then another hole from the receiver end. They didn't get the angle quite right, so I had to file out a 'hump' of wood in the middle of the cavity before I could get the long screw into the receiver.

Carolina Reb
12-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Dunlap Woodcrafts. Takes a little fitting, but their products are first class.

John Holland
12-23-2018, 08:55 PM
The reproduction butt stock drilled from both ends is the way Pietta makes them.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
12-24-2018, 01:16 PM
John I think that is what is causing my issue.

Everything inside the stock seems loose and over-sized. I fear glass bedding the stock and getting it stuck.
I just don't know if there is enough wax and mold release to make it a worth while gamble.

With Dunlap, he doesn't always have them, and never seems to indicate when and if he will be making them

Fire18WFD
12-26-2018, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=Joe Plakis, 9575V;73640]I am looking for a buttstock for my carbine. My current stock gets loose over a match and believe it or not I manage to snap the buttstock screw or I lose one of the two trigger guard screws.
I see them offered online but nobody has them in stock.
Has anyone ordered on and received it in a timely manner?

I have a new never installed Butt Stock For Sale. $60. plus shipping if interested. Will take pictures if you are interested.

Charlie Hahn
12-26-2018, 04:10 PM
I have a butt stock in new condition with butt plate and top screw. $65 shipped or offer.

Charlie
410-627-4726