PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Romano 50cal Mould

Paul L
12-21-2018, 09:33 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone have a Romano 50 cal Maynard mould that they want to get rid of? Or, is that mould being offered by any of the other mould makers? I understand the bullet it casts was designed to work best in the rifling twist that Romano puts in his barrels.

Thanks!

Paul (#8447)
15th Virginia Cavalry

Kevin Tinny
12-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Hello, Paul:

Larry used TWO 50 cal twists, early 50's had 56" that was changed to 42".

What is yours, please? Romano's 50 is .865" long.

Larry's 50 Maynard has a .500" land diameter and .007" grooves for .514" GROOVE .

Beware:
Larry told me that HIS Maynard bullet is too large to fit into his smaller Spencer bores unless it is excessively sized. Such excessive sizing, especially with the alloy that is favored for his Spencers, will create heavy sizing resistance and a cupped base, which he does NOT like. Use a bullet that does not have to be sized over .0015" to reach the desired diameter. His Spencer bullet is .706" long and his SPENCER moulds are marked "LRRCO" usually with "Spencer" added.

John Bly cuts down Lyman 515141 one lube groove, but you need to know GROOVE diameter of your bore. It should be .514", so a Bly one that CASTS with 30:1 lead-tin should be .001" over .514" for .515" - .516". Bly's 515141's are nominally .806" long.

I can send you some of each of Larry's and Bly's to try.

Accurate Bullet Molds in Utah can cut a specific mould cavity diameter, within tolerance.
Their stuff is good.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny

Paul L
12-22-2018, 09:03 PM
Thanks Kevin,

I have not received my carbine from Larry yet, but will check the lands and grooves when I do. Larry just told me if I could find one of his moulds, that is what he recommended I use because of his rifling. I thought I would see if anyone had a mould they wanted to get rid of before I actually got my carbine.

Paul

Kevin Tinny
12-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Hello, Paul:

Please rest easy. I have an extra. It is NEW, unused and stamped: "50 LRRCO".
Got it from him while visiting his shop Oct 23, 2015. It's saved for you.
I owe Larry too many favors, so no charge.
More important to me that you have one of HIS moulds for your new First Model.
No excuses now. Haha.

Please PM me where I can UPS it to you later next week.

Only request are clear, close-up photo's sent to me at your convenience.
We can work out the photo's "address" later.

Respectfully,
Kevin

Paul L
12-27-2018, 11:27 PM
Hi Kevin,

I sent you a private message.

Paul