PDA

View Full Version : Barrel clamp for Breech plug re

Bullseye54
12-12-2018, 02:27 AM
Who makes a good barrel clamp for removing breech plugs ? Are there different clamps for originals and reproductions barrels ? Enfields and Springfields?
What is involved with removing and reinstalling a plug? Installing and fitting a new plug? Thanks... Joe

bobanderson
12-12-2018, 07:22 AM
You can make a barrel vise (clamp, I suppose) with two oak blocks clamped together then boring an undersized hole where they join. Separate the blocks and place them around your barrel and put that into your bench vise. If you do a good job of making the right size hole, it will hold your barrel without marring while you tackle the breech plug. If the barrel slips, use rosin (I used my rosin bag from my bowling gear) which helps the wood blocks grip the barrel.
As far as the breech plug itself, Mike Yeck sold a wrench that fit a lot of muzzleloaders with wedge shaped plugs. You can make your own wrench by bending a piece of 3/4" square steel bar stock into the same angle as the wedge on the plug. Contact John Gaskill or Bruce Cobb to see if they still have any.
If the barrel has a patent breech, meaning the bolster and breech are an assembly, you might remove it with a good sized strap wrench, available from Harbor Freight for starters.

Not a difficult job, just take your time so you don't mess up the finish.

Kevin Tinny
12-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Hello:

Charley Hahn makes a nice JP O'neal style plug wrench that conforms to the shape of the tail section of the plug.

Not always shown on his website so text or email and share WHICH model is involved.

Kevin Tinny

Bullseye54
12-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the information and advice .... !