PDA

View Full Version : The Unknown Enfield- The "Hay Pattern" Enfield

Southron Sr.
12-06-2018, 09:48 AM
The "Hay Pattern" Enfield was never adopted by the British military and hence remains something of an orphan. The "Hay Pattern" Enfield was a "product improved" Enfield developed by Colonel Hay of the British School of Musketry at Hythe.

We do know that the government of New Zealand purchased something like 10,000 Hay Pattern Enfields with which to equip their militia during the Maori Wars.

Whether or not either the Union of Confederacy purchased and used the "Hay Pattern" Enfield....well, the jury is still out on that one. More research needs to be done on that.

So now, read all about the "Hay Pattern" Enfield, the "Unknown Enfield":

https://www.collegehillarsenal.com/shop/product.php?productid=1905

Southron Sr.
12-06-2018, 10:04 AM
If you have any credible information IF the "Hay Pattern" Enfield was ever purchased and/or used by either the Union or Confederacy, PLEASE POST IT BELOW. Please include all of your references.

THANKS!!!!

John Holland
12-06-2018, 07:04 PM
I am rather confident that if Tim Prince couldn't do it, it isn't going to happen!

Southron Sr.
12-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Dear John:

I have been meaning on getting over to Columbia, S.C. (about 150 miles East of my home here) and going thru the McRae Papers and see IF there are any records of Huse purchasing any "Medium Enfields" for the Confederacy.

Regardless, the P-58 Enfield Naval Rifle has all the "virtues" (rear sight set forward, 1 in 48" Twist) of the Hay Pattern
with the additional virtues of the Naval Rifle of a "Heavy" and shorter barrel.

John Holland
12-07-2018, 10:34 AM
I sincerely hope you are able to do the research you wish to do, and good luck with that endeavor!