PDA

View Full Version : Smith Velocity

Lithuanian artillery
10-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Hi all I am shooting a Smith carbine with a 409gr bullet loaded with 28gr of FFFg Goex. It is dead on at 50yd. Has anyone done a Crony of this? I am curious about velocity and the drop at 100. Its probably not me. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Carolina Reb
10-27-2018, 12:14 PM
My closest load is a 375 grain bullet with 25 gr. of Scheutzen FFF and 1cc of filler at 775 fps.

ms3635v
10-28-2018, 11:31 AM
My son-in law shoots an original Smith with Moose's Smith/Maynard bullet sized to .518". This bullet weighs 400 grains. He uses 28 grains of GOEX 3F and no filler. The longer bullet compresses the powder when it is seated. There is enough of the nose of the bullet available that when loaded, the the first band on the bullet just about touched the rifling so it doesn't have to jump to get to the rifling when fired. I have not chronographed the rounds so I can't speak to that part of this discussion. At 100 yards, the bullet drops just 4". This Smith is very consistent in its performance and we have made no adjustments in to the sights or powder/bullet combination in the ten plus years he has been shooting it.