PDA

View Full Version : Blending A Stock Splice

apstek
10-23-2018, 07:57 PM
At the Nationals I picked up a project 1842 that I am turning into a Macon Conversion. The remanents of the stock were overall in pretty decent condition HOWEVER, it was cut down below the lower band. I have since started fabricating a pretty decent piece of walnut to use for restoring the stock to Macon length.

Does anyone one have any suggestion on how best to blend the original stock to the new fore grip?

I am doing my best to match up the grain and have stripped down the original stock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John Bly
10-23-2018, 09:12 PM
The type of repair you are doing is almost impossible to make look really good. You must get a very close fit of the wood before joining them together. You can't just do a butt joint or it will fall apart. You need a hidden lap joint inside the barrel channel where it won't be seen. I posted pictures several weeks ago on this method. You need a grain with similar visual characteristics and orient it the same direction as the original stock. Staining it quite dark when finishing it will help conceal the repair. I generally use Chestnut Ridge Supply dark walnut military stock stain. Laurel Mountain Forge makes some good stains also.

apstek
10-23-2018, 09:26 PM
John,
Thank you for the response! I actually saw your post where you discussed this topic and am doing everything you suggested. I already created the lap joint but haven’t bonded it together yet. I also ordered the Chestnut Ridge stain. Hopefully I can get the joint as tight as possible.
Thanks,
Aaron

WBR10654
10-26-2018, 01:12 PM
This I am intersted in....

I bought a 1864 that had been turned in to a Fowler and the stock cut down an inch and a half to short.

Last week at the Tidewater Cancer shoot I picked up a damaged trapdoor stock and plan to use that for adding the inch and a half.

Everything else is done,,, new hammer, repared trigger, trigger guard with sling attachment added, and all I have to so is add this 1.5 inches and get it inspected.

NOW: I need to find those pictures since I have no clue what a lap joint it...

BUT: I was told I could hide the joint under the band and for me I do not care about the color.... this is for shooting not a wall hanger.

WBR10654
10-26-2018, 01:27 PM
I found this:

Seems it is about what I wnat to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axdpDD8tKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTOKzgUNJcQ

John Bly
10-26-2018, 04:56 PM
David, go to page 2 in the Around the Campfire forum and look under my post "Stretching a Stock". The pictures are pretty clear on how to do it. Yes, it is better to do it under a band. I've got one to do now that has to be spliced behind the rear band. This is where it gets almost impossible to hide the joint.

WBR10654
11-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Thanks John.....