PDA

View Full Version : minie ball sizers

glennmay
04-01-2010, 02:34 PM
i have heard about a sizer that you push the ball through with a dowell or something similar. where can these be found? Also, is sizing even required? Thanks.

Muley Gil
04-01-2010, 09:00 PM
"Also, is sizing even required?"

It depends. I used to shoot a Zoli Zouave with as cast Lyman 575213 minies. All I did was cast, lube, and shoot.

My two band Parker-Hale has to have the minies sized to .576 to fit the bore.

The closer to bore size your bullets are, generally the accurate the load.

Southron Sr.
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
The reason many Skirmishers use sizers is because cast bullets can vary somewhat in size even when they are cast in the same mould and during the same casting session.

Your metal and mould temperature can vary a little during a casting session and that can account for different size bullets.

Not only does sizing enhance accuracy, but I made the mistake of going to a Skirmish without sizing my bullets because I was in a hurry. What I found was that about 10% of my bullets were too large to be easily loaded in my rifle-musket.

No big deal during the Individuals but a BIG DEAL in the Musket Team Matches!

You can avoid a lot of frustration, swearing, crying and cussin if you get either a Lyman Lubri Sizer or failing that, a standard "C" reloading press and get the proper dies to size your bullets.

Trying to size bullets by hand by pushing them thru by hand or using a hammer is NOT the way to go.

Generally, you can pick up both used Lyman Lubri Sizers or "C" reloading presses fairly cheaply by ordering them off internet web sites. You will have to get your dies from a Sutler as these are made specifically for N-SSA members and not avialabale in regular catalogs.

GOOD LUCK!

Rick R
04-06-2010, 10:36 PM
It's been so long I don't even remember where I got the die I used to use with a dowel to push them through. I believe a tool and die maker in the sport, made it. The Lubrisizer is a great item to capture when resources permit. Before getting that first die I used to try every ball in the bore to assure I didn't get a big one stuck. This is ok in a pinch but the extra wear in that last critical inch or half inch of the bore isn't a good long term solution.

Good Luck!

tony 1st regt
04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Jerry Stone among others sold the push through die, think they were made by Harmon? John DeWalt at Northeast trade makes one that you use with a reloading press, much easier than a push through and a lot faster. I size for a number of reasons two of which are roundness and bullets .001 below bore dia. I have a Star and a Lyman sizer, but use the Northeast Trade sizer and their inside/outside luber