PDA

View Full Version : CONFEDERATE CANNONS IN KS

Steve Weems
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM
In Hutchinson , Ks there are two Confederate cannons --one cast in Memphis and the other in Vicksburg. I have seen mention of a book
call "the Big Guns" and would like a more complete description so I can try to obtain a copy through inter library loan in order to look them
up. Also when I was in school in N.C. I spotted two cannons cast in Selma, Ala..

The information would be appreciated --cannon spotting is fun!

Norm Gibson, 4901V
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Both are Confederate 6 pdr bronze field guns. One is dated 1861, registry #16, (Quinby & Robinson Foundry), the other 1862, foundry #39 (Reading Foundry). This gun has J.P. Kealey on the muzzle face.

The book you are looking for is, "The Big Guns, Civil War Siege, Seacoast, and Naval Cannon" by Edwin Olmstead, Wayne E. Stark, Spencer C. Tucker.
You can find two of them for sale on line on the following webpage. One is $155 the other $250 plus shipping of course.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Edwin+Olmstead&sts=t&tn=The+Big+Guns&x=31&y=14

Steve Weems
04-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks Mr. Gibson --that was exactly the info I needed.

Norm Gibson, 4901V
04-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Glad to be of help. Artillery is one of my favorite subjects.

Muley Gil
04-03-2010, 07:49 PM
"Also when I was in school in N.C. I spotted two cannons cast in Selma, Ala."

Located on the campus of Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, is one of the huge cannon lathes from Selma.

Steve Weems
04-04-2010, 11:46 AM
"Also when I was in school in N.C. I spotted two cannons cast in Selma, Ala."

Located on the campus of Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, is one of the huge cannon lathes from Selma.

The two Selma cannons were in Carthage, N.C. in the town square. They were field pieces as opposed to the the large
guns such as the one that is in front of the Museum in New Orleans. If I get a chance one day I would like to see that
lathe in Auburn--I can only imagine how big it would have to be.

Cauterizer
04-24-2010, 01:21 PM
This is the cannon lathe on the campus of Auburn University.

Muley Gil
04-24-2010, 09:14 PM
"This is the cannon lathe on the campus of Auburn University."

Yep, that's the one. Went by there many a time between 1972 and 1977. I believe all of the students resigned in 1861 to join the Confederate Army.

The ONE good thing the Yankees did was burn the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. :)

Edwin Flint, 8427
04-24-2010, 11:03 PM
The ONE good thing the Yankees did was burn the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

As 78 MSU BULLDOG, Can't agree more with the sentiment!!!! :)

I believe all of the students resigned in 1861 to join the Confederate Army. Expect the same would have happened to MSU had it been there. It did happen at TSUN. They left school and formed the University Greys. Last battle for most of them was Gettysburg.

Yankees must have liked OM because they didn't burn it but stayed there.

cannonmn
05-06-2010, 08:24 AM
One person I know has obtained a cy from the publisher, MUSEUM RESTORATION SERVICE, quite reasonably.