PDA

View Full Version : First batch of Minies

Carmell269
09-30-2018, 08:06 PM
Greetings all. First time posting here on the forum and I wanted to share my casting results from today. First I want to say that I really do appreciate the willingness of everyone here to share information and experience to help others, so thank you for that ! My success today was simply because of everything Ive read on this forum in previous posts along with the terrific article written by Dave France. Unfortunately, I live in Southern California (and hate it with a passion), but its home for now so I just try to absorb what I can from the forum as there is no N-SSA presence where I’m at for some local help. The Minies were cast from a Lyman 578675 using a RCBS easy melt furnace and RCBS dipper. Out of 156 cast, I had 7 that were rejects due to voids in the nose but that was quickly fixed by leaving a little extra in the sprue. These will be fired in a brand new Pedersoli 1861 Springfield. My barrel slugged out at .577 so I ordered a .576 sizing die from North East Trade Co. I will lube them with 50/50 beeswax/tallow. I’ll post up some range results as a follow-up in a couple weeks when I work up some loads. Thanks again to all the members here for sharing your knowledge.

Rob Carmell

Lou Lou Lou
09-30-2018, 09:33 PM
There is a ACWSA in California. Try looking them up. Company always helps

Carmell269
09-30-2018, 09:35 PM
Thank you sir, I will definitely look them up !

Carmell269
10-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Update: Finally got out to the range yesterday. The Pedersoli performed flawlessly as did the Minies. I started with 40 grains of Goex 3F and worked up from there to 47 grains where it seemed to settle in nicely with decent groups. This was at 50 yards. Still trying to figure the sights out realizing it will shoot high at this distance. My focus was just getting a tight group.

Maillemaker
10-25-2018, 02:55 PM
You're getting clusters of clover-leafs which is great. Now make them all touch each other! :)

Steve

Muley Gil
10-25-2018, 05:38 PM
Looking good. Try using a 6 o'clock hold.

Carmell269
10-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Thats my plan ! Just need to practice and spend more time at the range. Thank you.

You're getting clusters of clover-leafs which is great. Now make them all touch each other! :)

Steve

Carmell269
10-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Thank you ! I will give that a try. I was shooting with bench rest bags and it was pretty difficult to get situated where my firing position felt comfortable based on how the range benches were built.

Looking good. Try using a 6 o'clock hold.

Eggman
10-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Thank you ! I will give that a try. I was shooting with bench rest bags and it was pretty difficult to get situated where my firing position felt comfortable based on how the range benches were built.

Totally understandable Carmell. Everything in California leans to the left.

Carmell269
10-26-2018, 10:31 AM
So true..that just made my entire week sir ! Retirement plans will lead me as far away from this state as possible.

Totally understandable Carmell. Everything in California leans to the left.

Carmell269
10-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Tried loading this photo the other day which for some reason rotated to the left 90 deg. This one was at 100 yards. I still have a long ways to go in improving my marksmanship, but that’s part of the fun.