PDA

View Full Version : Sfarps rifle forend repair

ewmail15
09-29-2018, 10:07 PM
If anyone here does forend repairs, please let me know. Right rear has about 1/2" X 10" missing. When I'm on my laptop I'll post some pics. Thanks, Eric.

ewmail15
10-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Here are two good pics of what I need to repair, or have repaired.

Southron Sr.
10-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Well, you have two ways to go:

1. Order a replacement Sharps Rifle foreend and install it yourself. The "trick" would be finishing the replacement's "patina" to match that of the original buttstock.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=149

2. Another option would be to get a competent stockmaker to duplicate the missing splinter on the original forestock and then glass bed it on to the original forestock. Someone that is really good could make the repair almost invisible on the repaired original forestock after it was re-installed on the rifle.

Curt
10-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Hallo!

I have an original forestock left over from when I was doing some Sharps rifle restoration work. Paid $75 for it.

As mentioned above, it is rare to find two that match colors due to the range of color in American Black Walnut used, as well as the amount of oil blackening and ambient dirt absorption. Which will require some skill at cosmetic uses of stains or colored oils, etc. Plus, there is always the amount of scratches and dings between the forestock and the rest of the rifle. Etc.

Curt