PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Rifle conversion to centerfire.

Peter
09-16-2018, 05:10 PM
I am seeking guidance on whether to proceed with purchasing the hardware to convert my original civil war Spencer for center-fire. I see that Buffalo Arms offers the breech block modification, but I noticed on their website that they only offer 56-50 cartridges. I will not proceed on this without some solid input from people who have done this. Does anyone make 56-56 centerfire cartridges? If only 56-50 are available, could the copper shells be sized to take the larger round? Or would firing a 56-50 round work ok accepting the fact that accuracy may suffer. I will be at the fall nationals and can anyone recommend who I might talk to for guidance?
Thanks, Peter Chandler

Kevin Tinny
09-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Hello, Peter:

Most opt for 56-50 because of inherently better accuracy via the inside lubed bullet.

Both 56-56 and 56-50 CASES are available from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.
Google for phone and Kody should answer. Be VERY sure of what case you inquire.
There are DIFFERENT "original" and "repro" chamber dimensions.

Caution:
Larry told and emailed me that he does not have a reamer for the STARLINE 56-50 case.
There are posts that infer that he does and that he has special bore dim's for lined barrels that use STARLINE cases. Larry INSISTS that all his Spencer bores whether in lined or new barrels, have the same chambers and bore dimensions!

Bullets for either case are varied. Dies should be from CH4D. Avoid Lyman's

Others here can add specifics. I will be at the Oct Natl's and happy to share more.
PM me here if want to meet there.

Regards,

Kevin Tinny

Eggman
09-16-2018, 07:34 PM
I would give some consideration to what your objective(s) is/are. There are very few Spencer teams (2) in the N-SSA despite there being a match for them. As for individuals, you'll be shooting against a few Spencers and a lot of Henrys. The Henry shooters kill. We have a guy in the Deep South - Hoot - that's deadly, but nobody else, myself included.
That all said, the Spencer is a marvelous specimen representing the transition from bassackward super primitive technology to modern super efficient killing machines. You can get rimfire cases (I make them) from Dixie Gun Works that employ a .22 blank for primer, but the .22 must be properly aligned with the firing bar. You can compete in individuals with this, but of course team shooting (loading thru the magazine) is out of the question.

Peter
09-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Hello, Peter:

Most opt for 56-50 because of inherently better accuracy via the inside lubed bullet.

Both 56-56 and 56-50 CASES are available from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.
Google for phone and Kody should answer. Be VERY sure of what case you inquire.
There are DIFFERENT "original" and "repro" chamber dimensions.

Bullets for either case are varied. Dies should be from CH4D. Avoid Lyman's

Others here can add specifics. I will be at the Oct Natl's and happy to share more.
PM me here if want to meet there.

Regards,

Kevin Tinny

Kevin I plan to be at the National on Friday and Saturday the 5th and 6th. I would like to meet you. I appreciate your comments and will follow up, based on your recommendations.
Peter Chandler

Peter
09-16-2018, 08:56 PM
I would give some consideration to what your objective(s) is/are. There are very few Spencer teams (2) in the N-SSA despite there being a match for them. As for individuals, you'll be shooting against a few Spencers and a lot of Henrys. The Henry shooters kill. We have a guy in the Deep South - Hoot - that's deadly, but nobody else, myself included.
That all said, the Spencer is a marvelous specimen representing the transition from bassackward super primitive technology to modern super efficient killing machines. You can get rimfire cases (I make them) from Dixie Gun Works that employ a .22 blank for primer, but the .22 must be properly aligned with the firing bar. You can compete in individuals with this, but of course team shooting (loading thru the magazine) is out of the question.

My objective is really just to have the satisfaction that the gun fires ok and to enjoy the experience. As with my Sharps, I do not plan to fire this gun on a regular basis. Most of the time my guns live on the wall as a fine decoration and a talking piece. Like the typical N-SSA member, there is a soft spot in my heart for all those men who had to endure the war, and having this experience will bring me a little closer to what they lived through and died for. So it is mostly just for that.

Thanks for your comments!
Peter Chandler

mgmradio
09-16-2018, 09:23 PM
You need to look at Buffalo arms website again. They do sell 56-56 Spencer brass. It's cut down 57-70 brass. They also sell the moulds and die sets.
That breach block can be used in both the 56-56 and 56-50 Spencer's so if you decide on an 1865 Spencer later on you can just swap them.

Carolina Reb
09-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Check over on the CAS City Spencer forum: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,35.0.html

There is a lot of information posted on converting 56-56 to centerfire. They are a lot of fin to shoot!

Kevin Tinny
09-17-2018, 07:27 AM
Hello, Peter:

PM'd you w Fort contact, rendezvous and other info. Will bring sample cases, bullets and loaded ctg's. Sit tight and don't buy stuff yet.

Kevin

Eggman
09-17-2018, 09:51 AM
My objective is really just to have the satisfaction that the gun fires ok and to enjoy the experience. As with my Sharps, I do not plan to fire this gun on a regular basis. Most of the time my guns live on the wall as a fine decoration and a talking piece. Like the typical N-SSA member, there is a soft spot in my heart for all those men who had to endure the war, and having this experience will bring me a little closer to what they lived through and died for. So it is mostly just for that.

Thanks for your comments!
Peter Chandler
Hi again Peter,
Back in the 70's before the advent of the conversion blocks, the .22 primed rimfire we make was the only solution for firing these old irons. The recommended bullet was a .52 or .56 round ball depending on bore stuffed in the end of the case, preferably sprueless (from Lee), accompanied with a good glob of lube. This is/was a very good plunking round at VERY LOW COST. I'm not sure you need a 500 horse Indy car for plunking around on the farm.

Eggman
09-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Hi again Peter,
Back in the 70's before the advent of the conversion blocks, the .22 primed rimfire we make was the only solution for firing these old irons. The recommended bullet was a .52 or .56 round ball depending on bore stuffed in the end of the case, preferably sprueless (from Lee), accompanied with a good glob of lube. This is/was a very good plunking round at VERY LOW COST. I'm not sure you need a 500 horse Indy car for plunking around on the farm.

Just realized I mixed my metaphors here. Sorry to all you literate fellas and gals.

Peter
09-17-2018, 11:59 AM
Just realized I mixed my metaphors here. Sorry to all you literate fellas and gals.

I am not sure yet which way to go, be it a modified block or some 22's to use rimfire and get your point. Indeed, all I really intend to do is take a few shot just for the fun of it. The best rifle in the world will not help my eyesight and if I just hit the paper, it is better satisfaction than the next guy scoring a bunch of bulls-eyes.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-19-2018, 03:23 PM
If it was really a 56-56. Do most folks realize that the diameters are all the same? Its just the length of the case or the crimp at the end to hold the bullet in that makes the difference? Oh, don't we have a Spencer match separate from the Henrys ?

R. McAuley 3014V
09-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Another possible alternative would be to have a new barrel made for your Spencer rifle and have it chambered for .56-50. Depending on how much you think you might be shooting, you could order 1,000 .56-50 cases from Starline which would be chambered to fit the new barrel, and would work with either the M1860 or M1865 action. You could also go in with other .56-50 shooters to reduce the expense. My M1860 Spencer Rifle had been cut-down to carbine length, and rather than having the original barrel restored to full length, Larry Romano made me a new barrel for $800 that allowed me to restore the rifle back to full length. As far as accuracy goes, my first three shots at 50 yards (at the National) were two 10's about an inch apart, with an X in the middle. Too bad those were in the sighter.

mgmradio
09-19-2018, 08:39 PM
If it was really a 56-56. Do most folks realize that the diameters are all the same? Its just the length of the case or the crimp at the end to hold the bullet in that makes the difference? Oh, don't we have a Spencer match separate from the Henrys ?

The diameters of the cases are close, but not the same. The 56-56 case is shorter than the 56-50 case . The bullets are very different though. The 56-56 bullet is larger in diameter and also healed .
You could shoot a 56-56 round through a 56-50 without any real problem. The 56-50 bullet isn't recommended to be fired from a 56-56 as the bullet is smaller than bore diameter.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Read the post again Bruce --- two Spencer teams for the TEAM match; shoot against the Henrys in individuals.
Yes, My apologizes

gmkmd
09-23-2018, 12:24 AM
At the Spring Nationals there were SIX teams registered for the Spencer Match (though two scratched because of the weather). It’s growing in popularity.
I applaud anyone who has an interest in shooting Spencers. The Spencer is the only Civil War gun that was personally tested and endorsed by Abraham Lincoln- how can you get more historical than that??

Eggman
10-03-2018, 08:49 PM
The Dixie Spencers with .22 blank primers use original dimensions - .56" external diameter, .52" internal.