PDA

View Full Version : Adam Carruth SC Contract m1816s

MarkTK36thIL
09-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Undergoing a research project has caused me to stumble upon the correspondence between Robert Reilly and Dr. Floyd Sutherland in 1961. In a series of letters, they specifically talked about variations of the Carruth contract pieces, and had come up wits three different types of stampings on the lockplate.

1. Half moon Carruth with Eagle
2. Half moon Carruth without Eagle
3. Horizontal Carruth without Eagle and Greenville, SC

Dr. Sutherland had written Col. Arcadi Gluckman who was researching the Carruth contract m1816s and found that there was at least one horizontal Carruth stamped musket in existence before he published his book in 1948, United States Muskets, Rifles, and Carbines. It was fascinating to hear how Col. Gluckman had been researching Carruth muskets in the 1930s, but lost his research when the Japanese Imperial Army invaded China (where he was stationed).

So that leads me to ask questions, where might some Carruth muskets exist still? From their research, I have seen examples in West Point, Milwaukee Public Museum, and three complete muskets and one lockplate in private hands (circa 1961). Dr. Sutherland owned two according to Carruth family history, but had one stolen and there were two others out there in private hands.

Does anyone know of any that "may" exist by owners who could remain anonymous?

Thank you.

bilge water bob
09-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Hey Mark,

go to gunbroker.com and search “1816” there’s one for sale there $3895.00 looks to have been cleaned and still in the flint configuration, type III