PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Zouave ID question

Chris Sweeney
08-18-2018, 11:19 AM
I have a Lyman Zouave that was, at some point, an approved NSSA arm - it still shows where the annual inspection sticker was on the trigger guard.

Lyman is not specifically listed on the approved arms list.
The barrel that is on there is a Numrich, and they were never approved for Zouaves - it doesn't even have a bayonet lug, so I'm assuming that is was replaced after it was last inspected
The only markings on the rest of the gun are the Lyman name and address on the lock plate, and "ANZO" on the inside od=f the hammer

So, I'm trying to find out who was the actual manufacturer. ANZO=Zoli maybe???

george7542
08-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Chris I have a lyman stamped zoli from 74

Bruce Cobb 1723V
08-19-2018, 08:40 AM
You need to add a bayonet lug and then take it to someone on the SAC. Per N-ssa rules, lug is required because that is the way the gun was originally inspected for production approval. Yes, maybe Zoli.

geezmo
08-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Chris,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember Zoli making the Zouaves that Lyman marketed under their name. As for the Numerich barrel, they are on the approved list. People were putting them on repro and original rifles at least since I started in 1970 (don't know how long before that). I remember people shooting Numerich and Bill Large barrels with no bayonet lugs on them (we had a couple on our team). I don't know if they were required by the rules then or not. If so, it must not have been strictly enforced. I assume that if you have the correct sights, in the correct location, and add a bayonet lug you should have no problem. Any doubts, just get it inspected and get a SAC card.

Good luck,
Barry Selzner

Chris Sweeney
08-21-2018, 10:20 AM
My bad - page break on my copy hid Numrich. That having been said, there is no evidence of a bayonet lug ever having been on this barrel, and it has the wrong rear sight for a Remington 63, so I'm guessing it was never legal with the barrel currently on it, Barrel also doesnt fit very well. I'm not real enthused about trying to use the Numrich - last one I had was about 578 at the muzzle and about 571 a foot down. Think I'll try to find a different barrel.

John Holland
08-21-2018, 11:35 AM
A bit of a clarification for some of our newer members regarding approved barrels. The Board only approves the bare BARREL. It is your responsibility to make sure that the rest of the barrel is N-SSA rules compliant. That is, that it has the correct front and rear sights for whichever model it is to be, and any required bayonet attachments such as studs, lugs, spoons, etc. are also correct for the model you want. Remember, a "Zouave" barrel without the bayonet lug is a "Mississippi" barrel.

John Holland
Small Arms Staff Officer