PDA

View Full Version : 56 3-Band Spencer Stock Repair

rescuerandy2
08-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Good Evening,

Need a recommendation for a craftsman who can restore the Spencer's butt stock by repairing the cracks and removing then filling the holes from the tacks. Thanks, Randy.

bobanderson
08-12-2018, 06:30 AM
You don't have a region listed in your profile. There are lots of highly skilled people in N-SSA who could repair your stock.

Where are you located?

Muley Gil
08-12-2018, 11:38 AM
If it were me, I'd keep the tacks. That rifle may have seen Indian use.

ms3635v
08-12-2018, 02:51 PM
I think the tacks are pretty cool. But if you want the cracks fixed, Davide Stavlo from Lodgewood Firearms does excellent work.

John Holland
08-12-2018, 05:32 PM
I agree with Gil, the tacking could very well indicate Native American use on the Western frontier after the Civil War. Maybe even one of Stand Waitie's men! I would seriously consider leaving them alone.

geezmo
08-13-2018, 07:59 AM
I believe in doing as little as possible to an antique firearm. Fixing the cracks is legitimate. It will not only be more aesthetically pleasing but will help stabilize it from any further deterioration. As for the tacks, I'm always skeptical of the "Native American" decoration story. No doubt, they did do some and I suppose it's fun to speculate on that possibility. Regardless of who put the tacks on, they are part of the rifle's history. To remove them will only require another repair that might, or might not, go well. I agree with the others, LEAVE THE TACKS ALONE.

Just my 2 cents,
Barry Selzner