PDA

View Full Version : Plugging Your Cartridges Flashhole?

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
03-26-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm searching for a better way of keeping the powder from draining out of the flash holes in loaded Smith cartridges.

I have been buying self-sticking dots for marking file folders at an office supply store, then placing one over the end of each cartridge before charging them with powder. At the range, I usually scrape off the dot while loading, which takes time, but I have seen other folks piercing the dot with a needle in the loading area then shooting right through the puncture.

I've also tried taking the hole punch to a pack of cigarette papers, then dropping a paper dot in the bottom of each cartridge. I'm now shooting black plastic, reduced charge cartridges in my Smith, but I've lined all the flash holes with brass grommets and don't know if the paper dots would lay flat anymore.

If anyone has a better, easier or faster way of doing this, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

shilohzowie
03-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Gary, Try hair tape or bandage tape (not band aids) found at your pharmacy. The flash blows through either so their is no need to remove before firing. - Regards.

Alan Spencer, 7794V
03-26-2010, 03:02 PM
The tape that Gregg refers to is called trans-pore (Not sure if the is spelled correctly). My father has been shooting his smith with method for 25 years or more with no problem.
Burns threw every time. Good luck

Dominic Infante, 8359V
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I do not shoot my Smith much anymore; however, the least expensive, easiest, highly effective way that I found for keeping the powder in the Smith case (even when the flashhole had been reinforced with rivets) is by using a small piece of masking tape to cover the flashhole (get the most inexpensive sold by Walmart since it is thin and burns through easily). I would then run a black magic marker over the tape so it would blend in with the color of the case. I do not recall an ignition failure with that system.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
03-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Load tubes and place bullet down in an MCM box. From box to cartridge box bullet down. Cartridge is ready to pick and load, no flash hole cover needed.

J Smith
03-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Gary,

What Greg meant to say was, put your loaded smith cartridges bullet side down with flash hole up in an MTM Case Plastic 20 guage shotgun box (like this plug I just gave your company, Al?). They come with a flip up lid. No need to put tape over the flash hole. At the local fabric store, buy a piece of foam about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut a piece of foam to fit inside the lid of the box. When you close the lid, the foam covers all of the flash holes, thus no powder may leak out even if you turn the box upside-down. At the range, just open the box, fill your leather cartridge box with flash hole up, and you're good to go. The last time I used the labels over each flash hole was about 25 years ago. I'm still using the same boxes with the same foam once I figured a better way to do it.

Good luck.

Rick R
03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey Gary,

I did as the last two posters suggested, just kept them bullet side down, from plastic shotgun box to cartrige box to bore.

I have also used the dots that you are using and never had a problem shooting through them, never wasted any time poking holes in them.

Good luck but not too good, see you on the line soon!

Rick

Joe
03-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I use brass cases and what works for me is before loading the case I light a candle, dip a flat bladed screwdriver in the melted wax and cover the flash hole with the melted wax. You can shoot through the wax or pop the wax out before shooting. I have used 1/4 inch wide masking tape also but it takes more time to remove what is left over after shooting through or removing tape before shooting. Hope this helps.
Joe

Des
03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I have used a small piece of toilet paper placed on the inside bottom of the case.

jed10582
03-26-2010, 09:48 PM
You can just wipe a little crisco or lube over the hole & burn thru know problem.

RangerFrog
03-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I am shooting the reduced capacity brass cases in my 1st Model Maynard, and I have the opposite problem... my flash holes are sometimes getting too clogged to allow good ignition. I've had to resort to using a nipple pick to "re-pierce" the holes of several, and when I am preparing for a team event I am getting in the habit of running a pick into all of the flash holes while they are standing rims up in my Plano brand 20 ga shell boxes. I have used and loved MTM for over 20 years, but these Plano boxes have an actual hinge so they open and lay flat while I am working in them.

Froggie Green

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I've been using the colored paper dots over the flasholes--just shot thru them w/o perforating--never had a problem. But lately I've been wondering why, as very little 3F powder leaks out during loading w/o them.

mwmoore10261
03-28-2010, 11:51 AM
I've shot Gallagers and Maynards and have used white surgical tape (too gummy) and now stick to the cigarette paper method. If your worried about the paper dot trying to stay centered over your brass grommets then just square cut your cigarette paper a little larger and bottom it in your cases with a wooden dowel. Good shooting.
Michael Moore, 10261

Walt Magee
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Surgical paper tape works great and burns right through. Works well on plastic or brass.

Ed Engle, 3772
04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Gary,
I don't know if it faster, but I believe it is very effective, getting a 100% firing rate (no misfires). I simply use a narrow role of porous paper surgical tape, cut that in half along the long axis, cut those strips into small patches, and stick them over the holes. No further prepping is required. I use CCI caps, and they blow right through that paper.

Pete Woods 14th Miss Inf
04-03-2010, 10:29 PM
surgical paper tape on the outside of the case
burns through 100

paper tape
100 %

Joe Plakis, 9575V
04-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Nail Polish, I prefer Red because I accents my eyes! Nail Polish works!

Terry Davis 10639
04-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Surgical paper tape works great and burns right through. Works well on plastic or brass.
It is also what I used when I was shooting my smith. The paper tape works great, and if you throw the empties in water it will soften the tape and make it easier to scrape off.

I now use a sharps and have found tissue wrapping paper works well to cover the ends of the cardboard tubes. I suppose you could try hollow punching some of that to lay inside the smith tubes before dumping in the powder.

SBM
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
I have been smearing a little bullet lube over the hole for at least 10 years now. Works great and is cheap and easy.

SBM 120TH NY

Snowbart
04-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Ditto on the paper surgical tape. My Swiss Army knife scissors are perfect for cutting a small square piece to cover the hole. I guess i use about a 2-3" strip of tape when loading 100 rnds. The 2 roles of tape i bought will last forever :)

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
04-26-2010, 08:06 AM
I have been using CHEAP nailpolish that I get at the dollar store. Cheap nailpolish is lacquer paint and it is flamable. I put a small dab (don't fill the hole) on the hole let it dry and then load the tube. The only time it does not burn through is if I fill the rivet that I have in the hole. This past weekend I shot carbine and I had one round that did not go off with the first cap. My daughter in law pokes a hole in the nailpolish and they go off every time. the problem with doing that is any "left over" rounds have to be resealed.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
04-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I shoot 35 grains of 2 F in my Smith. And I don't use anything to cover the cartridge case holes. Store them nose down in those fine MTM 25 round cartridge boxes, and the same way in my carbine cartridge box....have never had a problem with powder leaking out.

04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
I just drop a small, round piece of newspaper in the bottom of the case before I drop in the powder. Works fine for Smith, Gallagher, Burnside, or Maynard cases (I have them all). I used to take a hole puncher and punch the pieces from a newspaper, or better yet, the thinner paper that Shotgun News is printed on.

Once in a while the paper would drop in crooked, so I push it to the bottom of the case to be sure that it is covering the flash hole. To make the dots faster, now I actually use a hollow punch so I can cut through many pages of Shotgun News at a time. I got an inexpensive set of the punches from Harbor Freight, and use the different sizes for the different cases so the paper centers itself at the bottom of the case (5/16" for Smith, 3/8" for Gallagher, etc.). In a few minutes you can make hundreds.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3838 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3838)

TNSharps55
04-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I've seen several posts on folks who have installed the brass grommets. Where are you buying them? What size? How are you installing/staking them?

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
05-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Terry
I sell the brass rivets and a tool to set them in place. If you are interested in getting some email me at dabrerrabbit@juno.com . The rivets work best in new tubes. If your flash hole is too big the rivets won't work.
Joe Plakis Jr.
Hampton Legion
00302V

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
05-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I put Joe's liners in all my Smith cartridges a few years ago. I'm not going to say they increased my accuracy or improved my love life, but I'd definitely do it again. I think they make the flash holes consistent and extend the usable life of the tubes.

warjr
07-08-2010, 07:19 PM
The Burnside carbine book said they used beeswax. Mine is in the shop but I am going to try it with my
smith and Gallager. Figure if they did it that's the way to go.

Dan Greketis 4914V
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Take some of the lube that squeezes out from pushing in the bullet and smear it over the touch hole. I have been doing this for 20 years with zero issues. An added bonus is that it makes the cartridges virtually waterproof.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
07-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Now, THERE'S a thought (waterproof)! We all know how hydroscopic blackpowder is. I'm thinking now, that the powder in a loaded case could change over time unless the case is water-tight. Paper alone wouldn't cut it. Hmmm...