PDA

View Full Version : Used Smoothbore Barrel .69 cal.

Michael T.
07-25-2018, 03:15 PM
Looking for a used smoothbore barrel in decent shape. Hoping to avoid buying a new barrel.:)
Old one doesn't want to play nice.
Will be trying different loads. Load 68 grains now. .69 cal. repro.

Harry Gaul
07-25-2018, 03:25 PM
I have a barrel with a drum conversion. Could be post Civil War but I understand that there was a version where the drum was used. Interested? I am thinking $175 shipped. Again, generous inspection period ( six weeks ) and money back return if you do not like or need the barrel. The full return, you pay return shipping.

True Blue and diamond hard,
Harry
3626v
3rd US

BADSHOT
07-25-2018, 03:52 PM
I don't know if this will help you, but I have a original cut 1842 barrel,it now measures 30", it actually has decent bore which may or may not need lining. The tang is broke near the tang hole, I have a piece to weld on, but just have not attempted it yet. You can have the barrel for 45.00, shipping will probably be around 12.00?
Thanks-Steve

Barrel Sold 7/26/18

MR. GADGET
07-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Looking for a used smoothbore barrel in decent shape. Hoping to avoid buying a new barrel.:)
Old one doesn't want to play nice.
Will be trying different loads. Load 68 grains now. .69 cal. repro.

Do tell us more.
What size ball and what lube?
I have had great luck with a 678 ball rolled and then run on a file with wax based lube and 84 grn FF.
Lube I make is EVOO and Bees wax 50/50

Lets make sure it is a barrel problem first if there is no damage to the barrel or given problem.

Michael T.
07-25-2018, 09:31 PM
I have Brad Schuler for a Son-in-law, he has given me plenty of help. The barrel measures .690, last I measured it seemed oblong, .688 - .690.
I have tried rasping the balls, the mold I have yleaves little or no sprue, I recently tried dimpling them by shaking in a coffee can.
I use the white lube sold at sutlers with a little beeswax and a little bore butter.
Going to work up a different load as I realized I am using a new batch of powder. I shoot 68 grains of 3F Goex and have had good results until last fall. Triple dip the balls. The Smoothbore is an Armi sport I bought from Dixie gun works..
The used barrel sounds good, I will send you a PM.
I have been seriously thought of running it over repeatedly with my motorhome.:mad:
Sorry I forgot to mention it is a 1842 Springfield..

Michael T.
07-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Second Mr. Gadget. Wrote off smoothbore shooting for 42 years until learning the roll the ball drill. I use two cheapo wood rasps. Also MUST de-sprue the sprue. I only shoot 54 grains fffg. Actually beat Big Steve, Lani, Cookie, Charlie B, George, Eddie and other notables with this combo (and no rear sight) - but only got a certificate of achievement.
If you would have said you beat Mike Rousch I would have been impressed:)

bobanderson
07-26-2018, 07:37 AM
I shoot a Hoyt reline .687 barrel in both an H&P and a 30" Macon conversion. Both guns use a sub .678 hard cast ball rolled between 2 farrier's files. I use 45 grains of Goex Old Eynsford in the H&P but bump it to 50 grains in the Macon for 50 yards.

I have a short section of .687 barrel I use as a filing gauge. Every ball gets tested in that before I load.

Lastly, I have stopped using lube. I found that the alox turns to "coke" (for lack of a better term), so I have been shooting them without any lube for the last 2 years now. I'm certain that the fouling problems are caused by a combination of alox and either Swiss or plain Goex 3f. Once I switched powders, that went away.

48-1x at 25 yards at Fort Defiance 2 weeks ago. Not bragging, just saying it's worth trying.

Michael T.
07-26-2018, 07:36 PM
The only thing I can think of is the powder... Same lead as before, works good in Sharps Carbine and Henry and Revolvers.
Hope to go to the range Saturday AM. :confused:
Made up loads from 68 grains down to 59 in hope to find something that works.:)