PDA

View Full Version : WTB: A Digital Powder Scale

Unionboy Mike
07-19-2018, 08:16 PM
I am looking to purchase a quality digital powder scale and am also looking for recommendations on what to purchase. I would like to stay a cheap as possible but also get a good precision scale. Trying to stay well under $100. Please let me know what your thoughts and what you might be selling. Thank you in advance.

Maillemaker
07-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Well, for a few years I had one of those $25 Frankford Arsenal doo-dads. It worked pretty good. But I noticed it stopped returning to zero. This made me wonder if it was hitting the high notes accurately, either. Ultimately I broke down and bought and RCBS Chargemaster 1500. They are not cheap though. I cannot find any stand-alone scales right now without the optional powder dispenser.

STeve

Kevin Tinny
07-19-2018, 09:13 PM
Hello:

Am unable to say where I first saw this, but:

All digital scales have a "load cell" that WILL eventually fail.
Overloading the scale, above its maximum weight limit hastens failure.
All must be checked for zero. If not held, contact the maker.
Better quality ones have a current fluctuation dampener that evens out AC and DC.

I use a DILLON because it has roughly ONE-THIRD the tolerance range of cheaper units that can amount to 1/2 a grain. Try weighing to a stabilized reading. Then remove the weight, let the scale revert to zero and weigh again. You may be surprised at the differences for the same object.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

bobanderson
07-20-2018, 06:31 AM
Right on, Kevin.

I have the Dillon because I was weighing bullets for Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette. After having to have it rebuilt (and getting it back with a very dim display), I've relegated it to the back of a cabinet.

Last year, I got a good deal on the Hornady digital powder dispenser, which also can sub for a standalone scale. I use that for loading smokeless rifle loads like 30-06 and 450 Bushmaster. The automatic powder dispenser is fast and accurate.
It's still on sale at Midsouth Shooters Supply.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/gs-product/00005050068/hornady-lock-n-load-auto-charge-powder-scale-and-dispenser-110220-volt?gclid=CjwKCAjwkMbaBRBAEiwAlH5v_gE4kJUW8kUeOxv r3X-xSDXH-sKaklGC0bNrlSMo7YH7-uKDYAswmBoCSg0QAvD_BwE

The strain gauges on these are all unreliable over time, so I would never be without a balance beam scale to double check once in a while.

ALL scale manufacturers insist that an electronic scale should not be used with black powder.

With all that said, I'd sell my Dillon for $100 plus shipping.

Kevin Tinny
07-20-2018, 07:12 AM
Thanks, Bob:

My Dillon is four years old and not the one currently on its website.

Balance beam types, even mine from the mid-'70's with high-grade, jeweled edges need careful handling. Dust contamination in the "V" contact area will cause errors.

So far ...... my Dillon works, but you are correct on erratic MEAN TIME BETWEEN FAILURE parameters. Guess we have to watch and question.

As for black not being compatible with electronic scales:
Bet that's a product liability over-kill thing.
Won't go down the rabbit hole on that myth.

See you in Oct. I appreciate your sharing.
No substitute for experience and cubic inches.

Regards,
Kevin

Rob FreemanWBR
07-22-2018, 10:53 PM
Ditto Kevin!

Had digital RCBS scales, but their MTBF left a LOT to be desired.

Long story short, after my third digital went Tango Unifrom I exchanged it for one of their manual scales.

NO problems ever since then. Manual scales are the way to go in my humble opinion.

Hope this helps!

snapcap14
07-25-2018, 07:05 PM
I am looking to purchase a quality digital powder scale and am also looking for recommendations on what to purchase. I would like to stay a cheap as possible but also get a good precision scale. Trying to stay well under $100. Please let me know what your thoughts and what you might be selling. Thank you in advance.

PM sent. Scale for sale

Bob Lintner
07-25-2018, 09:39 PM
Get yourself a good balance beam scale. Ohaus is good. RCBS 10-10 is good.