PDA

View Full Version : 1861 lock

toot
06-28-2018, 12:53 PM
i need a lock for a model 1861 SPRINGFIELD MUSKET. does any one have a lock for sale? will a model 1863 lock fit it? the barrels has a clean out screw on it.

Muley Gil
06-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Original or reproduction?

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
06-28-2018, 01:30 PM
I have an original Springfield lock. All original set up trigger done. 1862 date. $350 757876 1954 plus shipping.

toot
06-28-2018, 03:19 PM
a repro. is OK as long it will drop in and work. i have an original 1861 MUSKET.

Maillemaker
06-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Looks like You Don't Know has one above.

Also, Lodgewood sells originals:

http://www.lodgewood.com/M1861-Springfield-and-Contract-Models_c_117.html

Or a reproduction might fit:

http://www.lodgewood.com/Armisport-1861-Springfield-Complete-Lock_p_415.html

I do not know how close a reproduction the Armisport is to originals so I don't know if it will be a drop-in fit or not.

Dave at Lodgewood would know.

Steve

toot
06-28-2018, 05:03 PM
yes i saw it but it is out of my price range. thank you for your help. i will check out the sites you listed.

jim14th
06-28-2018, 05:52 PM
I have an original model 61 Springfield Lock assemble fully functional dated 1862 . Would ask $210.00 shipped , have pictures if interested...jim #2026

John Holland
06-29-2018, 12:32 AM
Any Springfield lock plate dated 1861 - 1865, or contract plate, will fit an original musket. All you have to do is make sure you have a M-1861 hammer.

toot
06-29-2018, 10:43 AM
JOHN, thanks for the info. i put an 1863 lock in the mortise and it fit but when you put the hammer down on the cone only half of the hammer comes into contact with if. and it would either break the cone or the edge of the hammer if you fired it in this manner. i need a hammer with the hump in it, a mod 1861 hammer. thanks again.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
06-29-2018, 10:50 AM
Contact me through PM. I have several and can match any patina you get on a lockplate.

Harry Gaul
06-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Be ??? The bolster area of the 61 barrel and 63 barrel are slightly different. It sounds like you have a 61 lock and a 63 barrel especially if the hammer and cone do not match up. I put muskets back together for fun and resell. SAC will not let you a modified 61 hammer on a 63 barrel. If the barrel has a clean out screw, it is probably a 55 to 62 barrel. 63 through 65 do not have a clean out screw. Numrich barrels which are repros have a clean out screw and will drop into a 63 lock and are SAC approved (Grandfathered in ?). Confused? I can send pictures. SAC will not allow "put togethers from previous parts" muskets. Those days are gone. Enjoy. If you ever get to Lancaster County, Pa., we can shoot a few.

True blue and Diamond Hard,
Harry
3rd US
Regional Inspector, Mentor, recruiter.

toot
07-01-2018, 08:40 AM
my musket has a clean out screw on the bolster. so i have a mod. 1861 musket. i have sense acquired a 1861 lock and it has the high arch hammer, and dropped rite in. i would like to make smoke with you, but at 74 i don't travel too well, later. toot.

John Holland
07-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Toot - If you don't mind, where do you live? General area, not your home address! And, by the way, many of us are over 70 years of age!

geezmo
07-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Toot,

You referenced the New England Region in your posts. We have teams and members throughout N.Y., Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Our Regional teams run shoots in Middletown and Saratoga, N.Y. - Hopkinton and Reading, Massachusetts - and Glastonbury and Chaplin in Connecticut. We have two active members, who come to mind, in their 80's (85 and 87) and a fair number of members in their 70's, so you wouldn't be alone. Somebody is probably close to you and could answer your questions and give you some pointers.

Good luck,
Barry S.

toot
07-01-2018, 09:27 PM
JOHN HOLLAND, i live in southern RHODE ISLAND, next to the CONN. LINE. years ago i used to go to a lot of muzzle loading shoos in CONN. won quite a few.

toot
07-01-2018, 09:37 PM
geezmo, WOW!! this is rely a group of old timers. i am not that old,74 but i am infirm physically, a lot of issues, congestive hart failure, spinal stenosis, two spinal cord injuries-- must i go on? that is why i don't travel well. sorry but you asked. i still like to make smoke with the old smoke pols. this site has a great bunch of guys aand reading the posts make me feel great, toot.

geezmo
07-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Toot,

Sorry to hear about your issues and glad to hear you did get a '61 lock. They are a lot of fun to shoot. Take every opportunity to burn as much powder as you can within your limitations. It's a great past time and you meet great people. Be well friend.

Barry S.

toot
07-02-2018, 12:09 PM
BARRY, you sure made me feel good reading your come back, THANKS!! that is just what i do.i go out in my back yard, i have 2 and one half acres and burn powder, BLACK!. i also belong to a great gun club, it has 250+ acres but it is a 25 mile drive each way and by the time you load up the car drive and unload and repeat to go home, well you get it? i like to shoot originals have very few REPOS. i have been collecting guns for over 65 years, so you see i have a few!! my wife says if i shot one a day i would not make it in a year, LOL!!. hey stay in touch, later, BOB.

John Holland
07-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Toot/Bob - Very sorry to hear of your very real infirmities, because age 74 is the "New 64"! Anyway, welcome to the N-SSA's Bulletin Board, where you will find a friendly group of highly talented Civil War arms shooters who you will find to be more than willing to answer any questions you may have!

toot
07-02-2018, 03:37 PM
JOHN, i rely like that it is true today with the drugs that they have. i take 12 + pills a day. i should have taken better care of my self years ago. but you know when we were young we thought we were all bullet proof! but my favorite time is at the shooting bench making a lot of smoke and following the posts on this great site. keep it up! best, later, BOB.

jim14th
07-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Toot , I live in Ct. just west of RI more or less 25 minutes from Beach Pond State Park anyway if your interested the weekend of July 28-29 there will be a N-SSA Skirmish / shoot held at the Fin Fur Feather Club in Chaplin Ct. located off Rt 6 Chaplin Ct. Would be about an hour drive from the Westerly RI area. Sat. events consist of individual in the morning and followed by carbine and smooth bore team events all afternoon. Sun. morning is musket team events.Come on up love to meet you...jim

N-SSA member since 1972

toot
07-03-2018, 09:38 AM
jim, wow we are neighbors, i am 15 minutes to beach pond.i go to the flea market in JEWETT CITY every so often, half an hour ride. so CHAPLIN will be on my calendar. will you be competing in any of the events? if i can make it i will try and hook up with you. BOB.

Lou Lou Lou
07-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Come early enough and you can shoot a little as a Non Member. See me if interested
Lou
o

toot
07-03-2018, 12:32 PM
HEY JIm & LOU LOU LOU RUGGIERO, 30+ years ago even though i lived in RI. i used to belong to THE COMM. TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION and at the end of the year we would have our annual fur sale at the club you guys are talking about. any one remember it? i used to have a friend called BUTCH ROGERS & BERT JENSTROM, IRON STREAM TRADER. GOD that was a long time ago. i was only an hour or so away and the CONN, prices were better than the RI. prices. as i remember i went to JEWETT CITY and stayed on rt. # 32, rite? and that will bring me to it? i rely truly am going to try make it and would like to hook up with you guys, lou lou lou RUGGIERIO is easy how do i find you JIM? that is if i can make one of the days depends on how i feel on those days.

John Holland
07-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Bob, now this is why I asked where you were located! The guys who contacted you are some of the best, and you will have a good time if you are able to go!

toot
07-03-2018, 04:49 PM
JOHN, you are so rite. got neighbors and didn't know it! am rely glad you asked general area i lived in. i think i will rely have a great time at the shoot smelling that rotten egg smell, lol!! i made smoke today. i dug out two of my HOPKINS & ALLEN under hammers. one is a 36 'OFF HAND' marked on the barrel top. the other is a 45, cal "BECKY RIFLE" I have had them 40+ yrs and they still take out the 9 & 10 rings! if you like them, it is hard to beat an under hammer!! DAMN it they shoot. so that is how i spent today. well i won't bore you any more, wonce i get going it is hard to stop. toot.

jim14th
07-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Bob , there's not many people or things that dont know Bert Jenstrom , I've wheeled and dealed with him for years. Last I remember there was a fur trade a couple of years ago. A better direct route to the club would be rt.6 west into Chaplin , at the light , intersection of rt 6 and rt 198 ,go left up the hill on Chewink Rd. the club is about 1/2 mile +- on your right. the range is up above the ponds , look us up..jim 14th Regiment CVI

toot
07-03-2018, 08:51 PM
jim, where do i pick up RT-6 WEST from my end, below WESTERLY? BERT, yes i went to the ORIGINAL, NORTHEASTERN with him for 25 yrs and THE NEW BEDFORD SPORTSMAN'S CLUB SHOOT, for 20 yrs also. i went by my self to FORT #4, in NH. FORT LEGIONER in LEGIONER, PA, for 10 yrs plus to many more to mention. i was a busy boy in my younger days.

toot
08-01-2018, 10:03 AM
thanks guys, i have got one. and am shooting the old ear horse.