PDA

View Full Version : 1854 Lorenz Sights?

Steve Weems
03-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I've got the barrel of my 1854 Lorenz off to Mr. Hoyt for relineing in .54. Like many of these it is missing its rear sight.
The rear dove tail was cut for the long range adjustable sight and I will be getting a replacement. Will I have to build up
the front sight to get the point of inpact at 50 & 100 yds practical?

Any reason why so many of these rear sights are missing? Seems like most of the originals that I have seen that have not
been smooth bored have retained their rear sights.

Don Dixon
03-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Question 1: Yes, for most Muster 1854's you will need a higher front sight. Have Bobby put it on. He has them in stock.

Question 2: You're right. The sights on the smoothbored guns were presumably removed because they were turned into shotguns. Most shotguns don't have rear sights. It does make it inconvenient if you want to try to restore one, however.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

Steve Weems
03-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Don-Thanks for the input--This Lorenz had it's rifling intact except for several areas of heavy pitting--maybe it was being used as a shotgun without the bother of
smoothboring the barrel! At any rate I am very happy to have this one--picked up at a 800 table gun show with maybe less than 10 muzzleloaders of all types.
Just goes to show you that you can't predict what will show up on someones table.

ken chrestman
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
I looked for a few years to find not only a Lorenz in shootable shape but more importantly one with the correct flip up LR sight, finally Cliff Sophia came through. I do recall The Rifle Shoppe has the correct sight you need, not the knock off block sight.

Hope this helps;

Ken Chrestman, 7147V Tennessee

Jim Leinicke 7368V
03-26-2010, 01:55 PM
The battle sight on that Lorenz is set for something like 200 yards or so unlike the Springfield which is set for 100. It takes a very high front sight to make a Lorenz work as a skirmish rifle, and you will need to install the sight with the rifle assembled. The front band will not slip off the barrel once the front sight is in place.

Jim Leinicke