PDA

View Full Version : Rate of twist in Garret Sharps carbine 1859

Tom
06-19-2018, 11:06 PM
I could write a lengthy reason why I am interested but won't - could someone please tell me the rate of twist in a Garrett Sharps carbine Model 1859?

Thanks in advance.

Ron The Old Reb
06-20-2018, 07:10 AM
I don't have any documentation . But my Garret has a 21 and 1/2 inch barrel and it looks like it has a 1/2 inch turn from breach to muzzle. So that would make it around one in 43 inches.

Tom
06-21-2018, 11:10 AM
The reason I was asking about the Garrett Sharps is because other gentlemen I shoot with use it. I shoot a Pedersoli Sharps Carbine Model 1859. I was considering getting the bore relined with a different rate of twist. Someone told me that as far as he knew all Sharps reproductions have a 1:48 rate of twist and mine has that rate of twist. I have been shooting the Pedersoli modern round through it for the past year and a half. It weighs 530 grains. The best powder load so far has been 35 grains Swiss 3 F. Shooting from the bench, I get a "ragged" 5 at 50 yards, a nice tight group. It does pretty good at 100 yards, provided there is little to no wind. The down side with a 530 grain round is the recoil. I have two other rounds that weigh around 445 grains and they get the best groups with 30 grains 3 F. There is a lot less recoil but I shoot 8 rounds, 5 inside a 4 inch circle, the other 3 just outside from the bench. I get the best results with no lube and I have been working with it for 2 years.

So this was the context for my question. Thanks for the help.