PDA

View Full Version : Fake naval ordnance artifacts proliferating

cannonmn
03-23-2010, 01:15 AM
I've seen an increasing number and variety of fake/fantasy "naval ordnance artifacts" over the past few years. At a major antique arms show this past weekend, there were a few.

One "Navy copper powder measure" complete with markings was sold to a knowledgeable collector for over $1500. Although I didn't see the item personally, a professional with impeccable credentials saw it and mentioned it to me. He was certain it was a complete fake. Another fake which I did see was in the form of a ca. 1800 bar or double-ended shot for a cannon. This was unmarked as were originals, but it was of the wrong form, dimensions, construction, etc.

The largest number of fakes I've seen are in the form of "easily manufactured" items such as ring gauges for inspecting cannon shot, and various other small tools and implements. The fakers have "U.S.N." and "Navy anchor" stamps which they either stamp or burn into the wooden handles of these items. The fakers rent tables at antique gun shows and Civil War shows, and peddle their fakes to unsuspecting novice collectors.

The fakes can be recognized by comparing their construction techniques and materials to those of known originals. Electric welding and other modern techniques, which did not exist during and prior to the Civil War, are often used in construction. Proper signs of age are lacking on at least some parts of an item. Materials used are often thinner than found in originals, or of incorrect cross-sectional shape.

I have discussed this with some of the show managers. One in particular which I thought would be concerned did not act, citing legal concerns. They said the only way they would take action was if an item had been certified by a seller as authentic, was sold, and the buyer had an expert certify that the item was a fake, and then complained to the show management in writing, including all of the evidence requried.

John Morris

Southron Sr.
05-08-2011, 11:39 AM
A friend of mine told me that there was a "Confederate Cannon" for sale at an antique shop up in Madison, GA for $15,000.00 (if I recall correctly. Being somewhat interested, I decided to take the time to drive up to the antique shop and take a look.

When I got to the shop, and saw the cannon, there is no question that it was also on a Confederate carriage. Why do I say that? Well the carriage was painted a bright, Sherwin Williams, gray color. The wheels weren't dished but had seen a lot of use.

The most interesting thing about the Confederate cannon was the location of the "Touch Hole." It was located BETWEEN THE TRUNNIONS!

It was obvious that I was probably looking at a crudely made, "Refugee from the Centennial" that would likely be dangerous to shoot, even with a blank load.

About then the owner of the antique shop came over and indicated to me that he might drop the price a tad if I would buy the cannon the spot. I gracefully declined. He said that was O.K. because a doctor that lived in Macon was coming over the next day to buy the cannon. He was going to park it in his front yard!

Lucky Doctor!!!!

Eh...Eh...Eh...