PDA

View Full Version : Need help ID this weapon

B P Shooter
06-03-2018, 07:15 PM
I have seen these, but never paid much attention to them. The stock is detatchable. Only markings I see are that it was made by Pietta. What is the name of it. Any idea of value? Owner wants to sell and asked me of its value.

Don Branch 12592
06-03-2018, 08:43 PM
It is a Pietta buffalo hunter. Cabelas use to have them on sale for about $350...the stock was an additional add on for about $250 if I remember correctly.

threepdr
06-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Probably a fun shooter, but it is a fantasy weapon made for the modern shooter market. These did not exist in the 19th Century.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
06-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Somewhat scary to shoot since the temptation is to put one hand in front of the cylinder when holding it like a rifle. Granted chain fires are not that common, but putting your hand in front of the cylinder is not a safe practice.

Ron The Old Reb
06-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Believe me ! Chain fires do happen. Back in the early 60's. when I started shooting black powder. I bought a 1858 Remington not knowing the right size ball to load in it. I loaded ball's that were to small and didn't know you had to grease the cylinders. When I fired it all six cylinders went off at the same time. It felt like I had a stick of dynamite in my hand. I was dam lucky I didn't get hurt. Like Forest Gump said Stupid is as Stupid dose. I'll say one thing for that Navy Arms revolver, it held together. Lesson learnt, you can't be to careful when shooting black power!

Maillemaker
06-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Chain fires are not your only concern with a revolver, either. The side-blast on a revolver is considerable.

Steve

Jim Wimbish, 10395
06-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Then I will bet that the Colt revolving rifles were not a lot of fun to shoot, either.

Eggman
06-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Have had one multiple discharge -- replica Colt Patterson from Replica Arms. Good tight balls, well greased chambers, capping one chamber at a time -- a no no. Side chamber fired a split second after the business chamber. This gun has extra large nipple holes. Always cap all.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
06-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Can I have an AMEN for that!.

Hal
06-04-2018, 12:17 PM
So, if all 6 go at once, what happens with the bottom one? Doesn't sound like anything a revolver would survive.

Ron The Old Reb
06-04-2018, 02:17 PM
So, if all 6 go at once, what happens with the bottom one? Doesn't sound like anything a revolver would survive.
​Thank God the balls were pure lead. The bottom ball slammed into the frame and loading leaver and warped around the frame like a piece of chewing gum. What was amazing was it never hurt the gun I shot it for many years without any problems. Had it been an original and not a re-pro I probably would only had the grips left minus a few fingers or hand. This is what happens when you don't know what the hell your doing. They say experience is the best teacher. I learnt fast that day.

PapaRob
06-04-2018, 03:23 PM
​Thank God the balls were pure lead. The bottom ball slammed into the frame and loading leaver and warped around the frame like a piece of chewing gum. What was amazing was it never hurt the gun I shot it for many years without any problems. Had it been an original and not a re-pro I probably would only had the grips left minus a few fingers or hand. This is what happens when you don't know what the hell your doing. They say experience is the best teacher. I learnt fast that day.

Wisdom is what ya get 5 minutes after you needed it.

Muley Gil
06-04-2018, 05:39 PM
My first black powder revolver was a Navy Arms Model 60, a brass frame .44 with a round barrel. A buddy and I were sitting on a pond bank, shooting towards the water. I squeezed off a round and buddy shouted, "OW!!!" I had a chain fire and the ball hit the frame and then hit him on the leg. No bleeding, just a bruise.

He got me back a few years later. We were working on another friend's 1954 Plymouth. These had a tapered fit on the brake drums that required a puller to remove the drum. I was tightening the wrench and he was swinging the hammer. A piece of steel sheared off and buried itself into my thigh. A couple of inches to one side and I wouldn't have had to pay all that child support in years to come. :rolleyes:

Hal
06-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Sounds scary. I am really surprised it didn't cause more damage. I suppose the ball was moving relatively slowly, as it had only started moving and didn't have time to accelerate before all the pressure relieved when it exited the cylinder.