PDA

View Full Version : Armi-Sport 1855 1st Model

oscarlovel
03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm looking at buying one of these from Dixie or used. I would like some feedback from those who have firsthand knowledge about these arms. I'm not sure whether they are NSSA approved, but that really does not matter, as I am no longer close enough to shoot NSSA anyway. I'm particularly interested in accuracy, and the 1-48 twist barrel with minies. What size minie are you shooting? Back in the day, I shot a Navy Arms Zouave and then a PH (British) Two Band Enfield with a 575213 or the Rapine equivalent, both sized at .575. I liked the drop on the Zouave, but hated the rear sight location. Too close to my eyes. I went to the PH and loved the sight, but never got totally acclimated to the straight stock. The 1855 with the long range sight seems like it would be the perfect solution. What say ye?

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Better try one out before buying, Oscar. I got one and found it very barrel heavy--it has a "lawyer's barrel." Yes, they are N-SSA approved. I've not been shooting it--stayed with my 2-band.

Wayne M Clark
03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Oscar,
If you have access to the Dixie Gun Works website, please note all of the European manufactured reproductions , Armisport and Euroarms, weigh within the 10# to 10 1/2 # weight. Reproduction firearms dominate the usage in the NSSA. Cost in comparison with either custom or original guns
probably being the deciding factor. These reproductions are used by old and young alike; short or tall. A measure of physical fitness somewhere neccessary to love an M1 Garand will be needed. On the other hand, the weight is an advantage while shooting the longer heavier minies. The Springfield style with the drop in the stock and the long range sight position will also help as your eyes begin to change with aging.
W. Clark

oscarlovel
03-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Oscar,
If you have access to the Dixie Gun Works website, please note all of the European manufactured reproductions , Armisport and Euroarms, weigh within the 10# to 10 1/2 # weight. Reproduction firearms dominate the usage in the NSSA. Cost in comparison with either custom or original guns
probably being the deciding factor. These reproductions are used by old and young alike; short or tall. A measure of physical fitness somewhere neccessary to love an M1 Garand will be needed. On the other hand, the weight is an advantage while shooting the longer heavier minies. The Springfield style with the drop in the stock and the long range sight position will also help as your eyes begin to change with aging.
W. Clark

Wayne:

Thanks for the info. I sent you a PM on your rifle. Please get back with me as soon as possible.

Southron Sr.
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I purchased one a few years ago. The barrel is so heavy I think that the manufacturer should include a tripoid with each rifle sold!

I cut mine down to a two band "Richmond." I found that it was a much, much better arm after I cut it down.
I have a Fayetteville that utilizes the thick M1855 Harpers Ferry Rifle barrel. The cut down Armi-Sport barrel was actually heavier (thicker) that my Fayetteville barrel! It should be thinner.

Another problem is that the "Long Rang Rear Sight" that comes on the Armi-Sport is the WRONG one. It is actually for the rifled version of the M1842 and although both designs are similar-it is somewhat larger than the correct rear sight. I know what Armi-Sport did. They brought out their rifled M1842 and then decided that they didn't have to spend the extra money to get the correct M1855 Long Range Rear Sights made up-so they used the wrong M1842 Long Range Rear Sights.

I will never again get one-the dang thing is just too heavy to shoot as a three bander.

oscarlovel
03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I purchased one a few years ago. The barrel is so heavy I think that the manufacturer should include a tripoid with each rifle sold!

I cut mine down to a two band "Richmond." I found that it was a much, much better arm after I cut it down.
I have a Fayetteville that utilizes the thick M1855 Harpers Ferry Rifle barrel. The cut down Armi-Sport barrel was actually heavier (thicker) that my Fayetteville barrel! It should be thinner.

Another problem is that the "Long Rang Rear Sight" that comes on the Armi-Sport is the WRONG one. It is actually for the rifled version of the M1842 and although both designs are similar-it is somewhat larger than the correct rear sight. I know what Armi-Sport did. They brought out their rifled M1842 and then decided that they didn't have to spend the extra money to get the correct M1855 Long Range Rear Sights made up-so they used the wrong M1842 Long Range Rear Sights.

I will never again get one-the dang thing is just too heavy to shoot as a three bander.

Southron:

How difficult would it be to cut one of these down to a two-band "artillery" configuration? I missed a two-band 1855 a year or so back. Jim Cunningham ended up getting it one step before me. I had originally started buying parts to build such a rifle in 93, but funds ran low and parts had to be sold for other things (kids, you know). I have no problem with modifying the three-band to a two-band if it isn't shootable. I would think though that it would be far more shootable than the Pedersoli Long Range Sharps I had, or the Navy Arms Rolling Block with the heavy octagon barrel. Still, I have always prefered the two band length, so we'll see. Where can I get the specs for the conversion? I definitely would want to retain the long range sight, though I might change it out for the correct one. Thanks.

Clint Lovell

matt
03-23-2010, 07:39 PM
well there is always going to a whitacre barrel that will free up alot of weight. i put one on mine from euroarms and a big difference in accuracy as well as the balance point. dan took my breech and put one of his barrels on and gave it the same profile and it dropped right back into the already bedded stock. i do believe he will cut it down to arillery length if you ask.
matt
winslows battery 9775v
hitler, stalin and mao were progressives in their time

Southron Sr.
03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Dear Clint:

Over the years, I have cut down about a half-dozen "3 Barrel Band Length Barrels" to "Two Barrel Band Length" About half the time, when I have cut the barrel down, I find that the bore is OFF CENTER! On one Korean Springfield I cut down years ago, the bore was so "Off Center" that the metal on the bottom of the bore was literally "Paper Thin."

I have even cut down two original Weisz barrels, Weisz were and are were considered to be the "Cream" of repro barrels in their time and yep, one bore was "Off Center."

So, when you cut a barrel down and find an "Off Center" Bore about the only thing you can do is to cut it down again to make a barrel for a Richmond Carbine.

Fortunately, when I cut the barrel down on that Armi-Sport I found that the bore was perfectly centered. After I cut that Armi-Sport back-it shot superbly. Apparently, Armi-Sport makes some good barrels.

Yet another problem is that IF you get an Armi-Sport 1855 and cut it down to a Richmond, you are probably going to have to replace the Long Range Rear Sight that comes on it with a correct, repro, Long Range Rear Sight. That is going to cost you a 100+ bucks.

YOU MIGHT WANT ASK JOHN HOLLAND IF THE SAC WOULD REQUIRE YOU TO REPLACE THE FACTORY LONG RANGE REAR SIGHT ON AN ARMI-SPORT M1855 THAT WAS CUT DOWN TO A RICHMOND WITH A CORRECT M1855 LONG RANGE REAR SIGHT.

If you decide to convert an Armi-Sport M1855 to a two bander Richmond and opt for a Whitaker barrel, keep in mind that because the original Armi-Sport barrel is so thick and the barrel channel in the stock is so big-IF you use a Whitaker barrel, you are going to have to use a lot of glass bedding compound to bed the Whitaker barrel.

The "UP" side is that with a Whitaker barrel laying in about two pounds of glass-you will probably have a superbly accurate rifle!

If I were going to make another "Two Band Richmond," I would probably just order a Japanese M1861 "Kit" from Dixie and sell or trade the M1861 barrel that came with it. Then I would order a two bander Richmond barrel from Danny Whitaker with the correct Long Range Rear Sight installed. Of course, you would also have to switch out the M1861 lock with a '55 lock.

As you can see, no matter which way you go, you are going to have 900+ bucks invested in a Richmond two bander.

GOOD LUCK
HOPE THIS HELPS